[ecrea] CFP for SCMS 2017: The Media and the Failed Coup Attempt in Turkey, July 2016

Sun Aug 07 12:13:46 GMT 2016

Please see this CFP for a SCMS panel proposal.

We must have submissions by August 15th to be able to submit this as a panel for SCMS. Given this very short time frame, we would greatly appreciate your help in circulating this CFP widely.

The 2017 SCMS conference will take place March 22 – Sunday, March 26, 2017 at the Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park.

Thank you -

Suncem &  Zeynep

*The Media and the Failed Coup Attempt in Turkey, July 2016*

Media were prominent protagonists in the July 15, 2016 coup attempt in Turkey. The first signs that things were amiss were televised images of a blocked bridge that began circulating on social media. Even the president who made a live appeal to the nation via a FaceTime call to a CNN Turk anchor woman's iPhone later revealed that he heard of the coup from a brother-in-law who had been watching the news.

The ensuing weeks seem like an inventory and investigation of media as central to contemporary political processes: from the widespread discussion of special encrypted platforms on which the coup was allegedly planned, to whatsapp conversations between military officials, to religious prayers from minarets calling people to the streets to face off against tanks, to the flood of ads in print newspapers featuring nationalist messages of support, to the giant screens reflecting the crowds at democracy watches around the country back to themselves. While the specifics of who planned the coup, to what end and with what consequences will be debated for a long time to come, the central role of myriad media is incontrovertible. Moreover media converge of the events underscored the fissures in global news coverage: identical images and interviews got mobilized for radically different interpretations of events. In other words, the whole world may be watching but how they interpret what they see may be vastly different.

This panel invites media scholars to reflect on media and the 2016 coup attempt and its aftermath in Turkey. These events present us with an ideal moment to consider exactly what else is bundled in media practices conceived of as broadly as possible. We are interested not only in coverage of the event both domestically and internationally but also in media industries, new and old media technologies and the very ways we conceive of mediation as part and parcel of contemporary politics. We are particularly interested in work that attempt to use the July 2016 events in Turkey as a conversation starter for broader discussions of our contemporary media landscapes.

Please send abstracts and short bios to Suncem Kocer <(suncem.kocer /at/ khas.edu.tr) <mailto:(suncem.kocer /at/ khas.edu.tr)>> and Zeynep Devrim Gürsel <(zgursel /at/ macalester.edu) <mailto:(zgursel /at/ macalester.edu)>> by* August 15th.* We will notify panel participants by August 22nd.

Asst. Prof. Suncem Koçer
Kadir Has University
Department of Public Relations and Information
Faculty of Communication