[ecrea] Transformations CFP Extension: Human-machine Configurations

Mon Feb 15 10:12:15 GMT 2016

Transformations Call for Papers: Issue 29

EXTENDED DEADLINE 14 MARCH 2016

*Special Issue - Social Robots: Human-machine Configurations*

Human-machine relationships are being transformed by robots increasingly
performing social roles such as teachers, carers and companions. This
arrival of social robots is challenging understandings of human-machine
relationships and generating diverse aesthetic, ethical and political
debates.  Matters of interest include asymmetries in human-robot
relationships, the co-constitution of humans and robots, the place of
robot labour, the significance of machine embodiment, and accounts of
human-robot communication, among other topics. Commonly, the ways in
which social and cultural norms shape social robotics do not receive
enough critical scrutiny.

This special issue of /Transformations/ examines the ways in which
human-machine relationships are configured in social robotics. It seeks
contributions that recognise that contemporary robotics produces and
circulates cultural values, and consider how social robots continue and
diverge from other expressive and communicative practices. In so doing
it tests the scope and limits of the category of social robotics.

We invite submissions in the areas of philosophy, critical, cultural and
media studies, science and technology studies, and creative arts
research. Possible topics include:

·emotional relationships between humans and robots

·ideas of the human circulated by robotics

·connections between fictional and non-fictional robots

·robotic cultures and cultures of robotics

·social robots as mediation

·agency in human-machine assemblages

·the machine as Other

·robotic artworks as social robots

·the embedding of normativity in social robots

·affective robotic labour

·the representation of robots and robotics in cultural texts and artworks

Abstracts (500 words): Revised deadline 14 March with a view to submit
by 20 June 2016.

Abstracts to be forwarded to: (editor /at/ transformationsjournal.org)
<mailto:(editor /at/ transformationsjournal.org)>
For submission guidelines go to:
http://www.transformationsjournal.org/journal/

Dr Erika Kerruish I School of Arts and Social Sciences I Southern Cross
University I Locked Mail Bag 4 I Coolangatta Qld 4225 I Ph: 07 5589 3168
I Email: (erika.kerruish /at/ scu.edu.au) <mailto:(erika.kerruish /at/ scu.edu.au)> I
CRICOS Provider No:01241G

Co-editor: http://www.transformationsjournal.org
<http://www.transformationsjournal.org/>