[ecrea] Call for panels and papers- ECPR Conference, section 26: Governance of Deliberative Environments

Wed Feb 03 15:51:07 GMT 2016

*CALL FOR PAPERS*

*Governance of Deliberative Environments section- ECPR General
Conference **2016*

*07-10 September 2016, *

*Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic *

The tenth anniversary of the ECPR General Conference will be held at
Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic, from 7-10 September 2016.
The list of Sections has been finalized and we are now accepting
proposals for panels or individual papers for the /Governance of
Deliberative Environments/ section. *Deadline: 15 February 2016.*

For details please see the relevant section of the conference website
http://ecpr.eu/Events/SectionDetails.aspx?SectionID=579&EventID=95

*Section: S26 Governance of Deliberative Environments*

*Section Chair email: **(katharine.sarikakis /at/ univie.ac.at)*
<mailto:(katharine.sarikakis /at/ univie.ac.at)>**

*Section Co-chair email: **(olga.kolokytha /at/ univie.ac.at)*
<mailto:(olga.kolokytha /at/ univie.ac.at)>**

**

Crises are historical moments of breaking up and re-organising social
and political relations. Crises govern the conditions for control, as a
core component in the de-legitimisation of political decisions.
Communication is a means to challenge established methods and conditions
of civil society. Media and communicative spaces have a central role in
the connection between civil society and institutions. Democracies are
under pressure and the relation of the citizens and the State is under
distress. The emergence of informal and unregulated public discourse
comes as a result of this distress and instability. We are looking for
panels and papers focused on analyses of causes that contribute to this
shift from traditional institutions representing citizens’ interest, to
social movements as hubs for direct democracy.

*Panel 1*

*Global governance of free speech*

We approach governance as a process that has at its core the regulatory
effect of several determinants on communication and communicative
spaces. Governance of free speech is shaped by policy and regulation
instruments, such as Law or copyright. We seek contributions that
discuss the factors that inform and influence governance of content. Our
approach brings due attention also to intangible and immaterial factors
such as principles, values and ideologies. We would also like to see
Papers in this Panel discussing relevant issues including soft
regulation and ethics.

*Panel 2*

*Institutional disconnect, social movements and democracy*

During the past few years and as a consequence of the crisis, lack of
trust towards traditional institutions has been increasing. A result of
this is the emergence of social movements. This panel aims to explore
the role of social movements as instruments of creating political
influence and also as new centres of power. The role of citizens and
institutions in governing physical and online communicative spaces is
paramount. In this Panel, we are aiming for Papers that argue on the
process of information dissemination in any communicative spaces such as
for example social media, activism, street protest and even graffiti.

*Panel 3*

*Inhibitors of public deliberation: privacy*

The right for privacy is becoming increasingly important within the
political communication discourse. This Panel aims to discuss the impact
and interrelations between privacy and public participation. We see
public participation as a wide sense, including all kinds of activities
that invite the participation of citizens such as petitions,
demonstrations and participation in public discourse. We also aim for
this Panel to include contributions dealing with privacy issues in terms
of restricting public participation and freedom of expression but also
privacy as an impulse to encourage and bring forward human expression.
We also expect contributions to touch the issue of different
understandings of privacy with regards to viewing it as an individual or
public right, as for example is the case between Europe and the US.

*Panel 4*

*Inhibitors of public deliberation: surveillance*

Surveillance is fast becoming part of everyday vocabulary. The
implications of mass surveillance and the technologies of surveillance
enabling monitoring and profiling are yet to be fully evaluated, however
there is a great deal of evidence about the degree to which they can
function as inhibitors of democratic deliberation, investigative
journalism and public participation. In the so-called ‘post-Snowden’ era
‘surveillance for safety’ is used by States to develop and/or justify
restrictions to public debate and participation, including journalists
and civil society actors aiming at holding power to account. At the same
time, the impact of surveillance is not ‘limited’ to public life but
starts with, indeed depends on, the monitoring and subsequently policing
of individual behaviour. The inextricably connected practice of
surveillance and violation of privacy is a recent phenomenon at a mass
scale. We welcome Papers interested in exploring the impact, empirically
proven and hypothesised, of surveillance of citizens’ self awareness as
public subjects and their participation in public affairs; the impact on
dissent communication and politics; impact on journalism and public
‘checkers’ as whistle-blowers; and the connections of privacy violation
with surveillance as a question of paradigm change in State’s role
withholding and protecting Human Rights.

Individuals can propose to the Section either a Panel including 4 – 5
Papers or individual Papers for the panels. Further information can be
found on the conference website:

http://ecpr.eu/Events/EventDetails.aspx?EventID=95

Please note all prospective participants much have a /MyECPR/ account as
submission is from the website only. You can submit your panel/ paper here:

http://ecpr.eu/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fMyEcpr%2fForms%2fPaperProposalForm.aspx%3fEventID%3d95&EventID=95