[ecrea] CFP: First Person Scholar

Tue Feb 02 22:01:29 GMT 2016

Apologies for the necessary cross posting. Posting on behalf of the
editor; please email them, not me.

At /First Person Scholar/ (http://www.firstpersonscholar.com/) we seek
to develop and expand the role of the game critic through the
publication of timely, rigorous, and accessible criticism that
challenges all players to engage in /critical play/. As Mary Flanagan
writes, “Critical play is characterized by a careful examination of
social, cultural, political, or even personal themes that function as
alternates to popular play spaces” (/Critical Play/ 6). The articles we
publish encourage players—be them developers, scholars, critics, or
enthusiasts—to consider alternatives to popular interpretations of games
and game play. Through this discourse we seek to establish and sustain a
critical conversation amongst those producing and playing games,
demonstrating in the process that the game critic is a figure capable of
enriching and challenging our understanding of games and what they are
capable of.

To that end we are seeking submissions that exemplify the virtues of
critical play, including those that demonstrate the extensibility of
game scholarship and the value of alternative interpretations. More
specifically, we are looking for unique and diverse perspectives that
may be underrepresented in gaming media, as well as those that exist
between the more industry-driven journalistic view and the more
traditional academic position.

FPS publishes articles in three broad categories.

ESSAYS: Essay submissions for FPS are meant to address critical,
theoretical, and methodological considerations as they pertain to game
studies. Editor: Betsy Brey ((betsy.brey /at/ firstpersonscholar.com)
<mailto:(betsy.brey /at/ firstpersonscholar.com)>)

COMMENTARIES: Our commentaries include intelligent discussion of games
and games culture that deviate from the format of the traditional
academic essay. Editor: Alexandra Orlando
((alexandra.orlando /at/ firstpersonscholar.com)
<mailto:(alexandra.orlando /at/ firstpersonscholar.com)>)

BOOK REVIEWS: The purpose of the book reviews is two-fold: to act as a
resource for game scholars and to critique and comment on the book’s
arguments. Editor: Chris Lawrence ((chris.lawrence /at/ firstpersonscholar.com)
<mailto:(chris.lawrence /at/ firstpersonscholar.com)>)

For the full CFP, including guidelines for submission, please visit
http://www.firstpersonscholar.com/about/