[ecrea] CfP: 'Visualizing Climate - Changing Futures?'

Tue Jan 05 13:00:56 GMT 2016

We invite you to submit a contribution to our panel ‘Visualizing Climate – Changing Futures?’ at the RAI's conference ‘Anthropology, Weather, and Climate Change’, Museum, London, 27-29 May 2016.

Our panel will explore: How do visual media shape understandings of climate change? What visual language or imagery are used by various communities to communicate and address climate change? By exploring how visual tools, participatory strategies, pictorial narratives or social media are used by news media, local communities or artists, this panel will examine how climate change is made culturally meaningful across a range of visual and cultural practises. Inviting multi-media format contributions, this practice based panel thus aims to establish a creative and collaborative dialogue between science, art, media and culture. In doing so, we will explore how visualizations help shape audience responses to climate change, and how these can be better deployed in the move towards sustainable climate-changed futures.

We very much like to encourage media based contributions and practice based formats of presentation. If you are interested in participating in this panel, please submit an abstract through the RAI's web platform: http://www.nomadit.co.uk/rai/events/rai2016/panels.php5?PanelID=3809

Please forward this ’Call for Participation’ widely and do get in touch with us for any questions and comments (Julie: (J.Doyle /at/ brighton.ac.uk) ; Susanne: (s.hammacher /at/ uebersee-museum.de) ).

The deadline for submissions is 8th January 2016.

Best wishes,

Susanne Hammacher, Übersee-Museum Bremen

Julie Doyle, University of Brighton