Archive for calls, September 2016

[ecrea] CFP- Queer Communication Pedagogy: Intersectionality and Activism

Fri Sep 02 07:02:02 GMT 2016

CFP

Queer Communication Pedagogy: Intersectionality and Activism

Considering the dynamics of current queer discourse, it is important for scholars and educators of communication studies to reflect on pedagogies that are infused with queer sensibilities and points of view. The goal of this edited collection is to focus on queer communication pedagogy and its implications within the classroom and beyond. Hence, this book has various aims: to create a dialogue among scholars within communication pedagogy and queer studies to address queer issues and current events from a communication perspective; to identify institutional and educational barriers, oppressions, and issues pertaining to queer lives in the context of higher education; to theorize the possibility of queer communication pedagogy; and to offer paths toward and innovative ideas about materializing queer communication pedagogy as a discipline.

While the presence of queer scholarship has been growing within the communication studies field, not much intradisciplinary research has focused on queer pedagogy or queer lives in the communication classroom, higher education, or teaching strategies in everyday life. Even though queer communication scholarship has had a great impact on carving out a space to articulate sexuality and gender, there is a notable gap when creating a discourse around queer communication pedagogy. The goal of this edited book is to bridge the gap between scholarship on critical communication pedagogy and queer studies. Therefore, this project builds on the idea of intersectionality in various sub-areas within the discipline.

Following the critical map created by Freire, Fassett and Warren (2007) situated critical pedagogy within communication studies by conceptualizing critical communication pedagogy (CCP). Fassett and Warren argued that critical communication pedagogy requires a commitment to pedagogy as praxis, which requires that teachers and students work together to observe, understand, and solve pedagogical issues that influence and shape their learning environments and processes. They also emphasized that critical communication educators engage in dialogue to create change; therefore, they are committed to social justice-centered educational models and pedagogies.Similar to critical pedagogy, queer pedagogy takes a deconstructive and decolonizing approach to teaching and aims to create a space for diverse students to voice their experiences within existing oppressive systems, including higher education. Furthermore, it also allows pedagogies to build on the notion of intersectionality by highlighting the importance of sexuality in identity and oppression discourse. Yep (2002) argues that effective queer pedagogy highlights existing homophobia and institutional violence, and aims to attack heteronormativity for the purpose of diminishing the power structures created by these oppressive ideological and social practices.

This edited volume has eight major interrelated aims:

1.To bridge the gap between critical communication pedagogy (CCP) and queer communication studies (QCS) by developing a queer communication pedagogy (QCP) approach. Queer communication pedagogy borrows from and embodies aspects of both CCP and QCS. Therefore, in this book our goal is to highlight the connections between these areas as we build queer communication pedagogy as an approach. This approach takes a critical, dialogic, self-reflexive and intersectional approach to pedagogy and aims to queer academic/educational culture.

2.QCP builds on the idea of questioning, challenging, and deconstructing the oppressive structures in our culture and education system. It shines a spotlight on oppressive ideologies that mark and remark our bodies and cultural identities, and questions the ways in which identity performances are named. Finally, QCP embodies social justice oriented pedagogies that highlight oppressive systems and aim to open up spaces for activism to create social change. Hence, in this book, our goal is to theorize on these disciplinary intersections.

3.Even though CCP acknowledges and questions existing oppressive systems, it does not make clear and direct connections to queer lives and experiences, such as using queer pedagogy in the classroom. Our goal is to contribute to CCP’s discourse by emphasizing the queer experience.

4.Since we cannot isolate one identity category or formation and focus on it exclusively to examine how it is constructed and performed, QCP takes an intersectional perspective. QCP argues that in order to understand queer experiences, we have to consider the intersections between sexuality, gender, race, ethnicity, nationality, class, age and ability. Only in this way can queer experiences truly be understood, considering that queer bodies experience different oppressions and privileges based on their other identity markings.

5.We believe that QCP can be a productive approach to make sense of past, current, and ongoing queer discourse, including the latest events in our nation. Furthermore, we hope that this approach can provide students with new perspectives in order to achieve acceptance and respect for diversity and diverse lives and lifestyles.

6.In this book, we recognize that QCP should foster dialogue, encourage self-reflexivity, promote self-transformations, emphasize the importance of praxis in pedagogy and highlight the intersectionality of identities. Hence, the goal of this book is to present academic voices that embody and synthesize these aspects.

7.Finally, we aim to offer various queer pedagogies that deconstruct and decolonize traditional and critical pedagogies that bypass queer experiences.

8.In keeping with queer theory, we aim to interrogate how pedagogical patterns and processes (of teaching, of learning, of constructing knowledge) come to be normalized, along with the implications of such normalization.

Possible topics include but not limited to:

1-Theorizing queer communication pedagogy.

2- Decolonizing and deconstructing communication pedagogy to include queer voices.

3- Intersectionality and queer experiences in the classroom.

4- Intersectionality and queer experiences in academia.

5- Examples of queer communication pedagogies.

6- Queer communication pedagogy to create social justice.

7- Queering pedagogical discourse.

Abstracts are due by October 1, 2016, with a word length of up to no more than 500 words, along with pertinent references, and a short biographic blurb of 300 words. Full-length manuscripts are due on March 1, 2017, with a word length of no more than 6,000 words and in APA style, including references, endnotes, and so forth. Abstracts should be emailed as Word documents to both co-editors Ahmet Atay ((aatay /at/ wooster.edu)) and Sandy Pensoneau-Conway ((sandypc /at/ siu.edu)) for an initial review.