[ecrea] CFP: Creative Citizens: the conference

Thu Nov 07 11:15:53 GMT 2013

*Creative Citizens: the conference***

Royal College of Art, London,/ September 18-19/ 2014
http://creativecitizens.co.uk/events/

*Call for Papers***

Creative citizens make new things happen in their communities. Their activities are vital to civic life but also to the creative economy, where their contribution mostly goes uncounted. They invent new ways of delivering music, visual art, film and literature. They come together as fans; they make things, sharing space and place.

The conference is the climax of a 20 month multidisciplinary research project, Media Community and the Creative Citizen which explores the dynamics of creative citizenship in the context of digital media. We ask how social media are affecting the value and sustainability of creative citizenship and, with our community partners around the UK, we experiment with co-created media interventions to enhance networks of creative citizenship in Bristol, Birmingham & London.

We now want to widen our conversation, test our findings and convene a network of researchers and activists interested in developing research, policy and activism around the idea of Creative Citizenship. We are looking for conference contributions that include themes or topics such as:

Definition of, and critical perspectives on, creative citizenship
Research approaches and methods
Cultural, economic, civic and social values of creative citizenship
Creativity and innovation
Co-production and design
Representation and identity
Inclusion/exclusion
Practices and business models
Role of media literacy and creative skills
Research Ethics
UK and international case studies
The impacts of creative citizenship and its practices: critique, evaluation and measurement
Policy and investment

We are delighted to have keynote contributions from:

*Paola Antonelli*, curator for the Department of Architecture and Design at the Museum of Modern Art, New York.

*Jean Burgess*, Queensland University of Technology, one of the first researchers to focus on every day creativity and the digital Jean is the co-author of the groundbreaking /YouTube: Online Video and Participatory Culture./

*John Hartley* is Professor of Cultural Science and Director of the Centre for Culture and Technology at Curtin University (Perth, Western Australia).

*Geoff Mulgan* is Chief Executive of Nesta. He is a visiting professor at LSE, UCL, Melbourne University and a regular lecturer at the China Executive Leadership Academy.

*Ian Hargreaves* holds The Chair of Digital Economy at the University of Cardiff.

We are looking for conference contributions from arts and humanities and social sciences in the form of traditional papers (15 mins) as well as informal poster presentations from early career researchers and PhD students. The conference will have three tracks and several workshops; we will programme two tracks from this call.

Please send your abstracts to (creativecitizensproject /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(creativecitizensproject /at/ gmail.com)%20> by 5pm (GMT) on Monday 20th January 2014.

Notifications in March 2014. *Hold the date.* Booking will be available in Feb 2014.
http://creativecitizens.co.uk/events/