[ecrea] Call for Papers for the 5th Edinburgh International Film Audience Conference

Tue Nov 05 23:11:46 GMT 2013

----------------------------

** Call for Papers for the 5th Edinburgh International Film Audience Conference (EIFAC), 27th - 28th March 2014, Edinburgh **

Edinburgh International Film Audience Conference (EIFAC) returns in 2014 with a new conference team but still upholding its predecessors’ focus on exciting audience research taking place within academic film studies and within the film industry. The two-day conference will shine the spotlight on film cultures and film audiences by showcasing an expanding pool of scholarship, which moves away from classical textual modes of research to include empirical fieldwork. The event will debate how different methodologies and perspectives can help further our understanding of the most important people in the world of film – the audience. There is a lot to be learned from other subject areas, therefore, this year sees the call for papers reach out to non-film disciplines by encouraging scholars in television and game studies to share their empirical research.The conference has been praised for creating an arena where new and experienced researchers in academia can come together to sha re their enthusiasm for audience research in a friendly and supportive environment. Whilst the conference may well appeal primarily to academics, it invites contribution from those working in the film industries (production, distribution, exhibition, policy-making).

** Papers **
All papers should be concerned with empirical research on screen audiences. We are particularly interested in papers that explore the following issues/themes, however, we also welcome papers on other interesting topics:

- The challenges facing the empirical researcher
- Film festival audiences and communities
- Statistical literacy in empirical research
- Researching child and youth audiences
- Rethinking cinephilia, developing audience taxonomies
- Contemporary cinema audiences
- Film, fandom and merchandise
- Cult film and cult audiences
- Digital and online film cultures
- Transnational film audiences
- Film exhibition and the construction of audience
- Film policy and audiences
- Exhibition and/or consumption of short film
- Empirical research methods in television studies
- Empirical research methods in game studies
- Work in Progress

We continue to offer a showcase for work in progress. This is a great opportunity for Masters and PhD students to share research they are working on and receive helpful feedback from their peers. This work will be displayed in our social area throughout the conference in either printed poster or electronic poster format (a short PowerPoint slide show or similar multimedia format).

THE CFP DEADLINE IS: 5pm on Friday 29th November 2013

** Submitting Abstracts **
Paper proposals should include title, abstract, 3-5 key bibliographical references, and the name/s of the presenter/s and institutional affiliation/s, which collectively should be no more than 300 words. We also ask potential presenters to include a short biography (maximum 100 words). Work in progress proposals should include title, short abstract, 2 key bibliographical references, and the name of the presenter and institutional affiliation, which should collectively be no more than 200 words. We also ask work in progress presenters to include a short biography (maximum 50 words).

Abstracts should be submitted as virus-free Word or rtf attachments to Ana Moraes ((abstracts /at/ filmaudiencesconference.co.uk)) no later than 5pm on Friday 29th November 2013. Please note the category you are submitting for in the email subject line (‘Paper Proposal’ or ‘Work in Progress Proposal’). External referees will review abstracts and all contributors will be notified of the outcome by early January 2014. Abstracts that are longer than prescribed will not be considered.

We differ from many other conferences by providing delegates with copies of all papers. Therefore, we require papers all papers in advance of the conference by 5pm on Friday 14th March 2014. If you are unable to commit to this date, we ask that you do not submit an abstract. Further details of the final paper submission process will be sent to successful presenters.

For more information visit: http://www.filmaudiencesconference.co.uk
A printable version of the CfP is available here: http://www.filmaudiencesconference.co.uk/images/eifac2014_cfp.pdf
Abstracts to be submitted to: (abstracts /at/ filmaudiencesconference.co.uk)