[ecrea] CFP: Communication and Art, CSA 2013

Wed Jan 16 06:52:17 GMT 2013

CSA Panel, CFP: Communication and Art

Cultural Studies Annual Meeting, “Beyond Disciplinarity: Interventions
in Cultural Studies and the Arts”
May 23-26, 2013, Chicago, IL
Abstract deadline: Jan. 25 (toLbeutin /at/ asc.upenn.edu)

I am creating a panel/workshop that brings together scholars who
research and/or teach at the intersections of art and communication.
Even though artworks communicate, are the fields of fine art, art
history, and communication at cross-purposes? Or, inversely, is all
art already dialogical by design? What is gained and what is lost by
rendering art as a communicative act? Who is left out if it's not? How
can we theorize the relationship among art, dialogue, and publics?
More importantly, as the boundaries between what is art and what is
communication continue to blur, how can we use the contributions of
the discrete disciplines to embrace and advance integrated models for
building more inclusive institutions and sustainable communities?

Potential paper topics include: dialogical art practices and new genre
public art; public space; sound studies; art and activism; innovative
teaching methods and new course design; relationships among text,
image, and art; museums and institutional approaches to visitor
engagement; collaborative community art projects; using art to
generate new models of communication and vice versa; the relationship
between expression and intention; visual and aural literacy; the place
of the mundane in the art history canon; democratization of art
viewing; and new histories of how artists have engaged audiences.

My presentation will discuss and workshop pedagogical practices from a
course called Communication, Art, and Audience that sought to
collaboratively thematize multidirectional communicative relationships
on three levels: the artist's conceptualization and consideration of
audience and message in art-making practices; curatorial practice as
communication and exhibitions as messages; and cultural institutions
as dialogic spaces. Samples of student projects - which re-envisioned
public sculpture on Penn’s campus as interactive, dialogic space -
will also be shared.

If interested in participating, please email Lyndsey Beutin at
(Lbeutin /at/ asc.upenn.edu)  a 150-word abstract and short bio with
affiliation, no later than Jan. 25. Depending on response, I may also
organize a special issue on the theme for a peer-reviewed journal.