Archive for calls, October 2013

[ecrea] ICA Mobile Pre-conference 2014 Call for Papers

Tue Oct 01 19:23:31 GMT 2013

Call
for Papers
11th
Annual ICA Mobile Pre-conference Workshop
Mobile
Research for Building a Better World
May
21 – 22 (until 1 PM)

Mobile
communication focuses on the intersection of mobility, place,
technology, and culture, against a backdrop of rapid international
economic and social change. The past decade of research on mobile
communication has expanded on topics such as the reordering of social
relationships, the global diffusion of mobile media, and the societal
and psychological effects of mobile usage. This uniquely situates
mobile communication for an interdisciplinary pre-conference to address
positive and negative impacts of mobile-mediated communication in
society. In the 11th ICA Mobile Pre-conference Workshop, we want to
reflect upon the positive and negative aspects brought to our lives by
this rapid spread of mobile communication, through the theme of “Mobile
Research for Building a Better World.” Complementing the main
conference theme, we expect participants to promote various definitions
of “the good life” - such as capital enhancement, personal freedoms,
social justice, more productive interactions, and stronger social ties
- or factors that impede it. We anticipate a broad range of topics in
mobile communication and welcome abstracts based on empirical and
theoretical work entwined with mobile communication as it relates to:

    *
      International
      contexts
    *
      International
      development
    *
      Health
    *
      Social
      media
    *
      Cultural
      differences
    *
      Gender
    *
      Local
      culture and heritage
    *
      Learning
      and education
    *
      Journalism
    *
      Activism
      and social movements
    *
      Politics
    *
      Civic
      engagement
    *
      Usability
      issues
    *
      Methodologies

Submission
Information

Submissions
are welcomed from scholars at all stages of their careers, and across
multiple disciplines engaged in research on mobile communication.
Submissions should be extended abstracts of no more than 750 words and
be in word doc/docx or PDF format. Submissions will be accepted through
email to (submissions /at/ icamobile.org).
The deadline for submissions is 11:59 PM EST on November 18, 2013.
Papers will be judged by peer review on criteria of relevance and
originality of topic, adequacy of literature review and methodology,
legitimacy of conclusions, clarity of presentation, as well as fit with
-- and contribution to -- the conference theme. Notifications on
acceptance will be emailed in early January.

Best
Paper Award

An
award for the best paper will be given at this event. Only full papers
submitted by the spring deadline for full paper submission (March 31st,
2014) will be considered for this award.

Venue

The
mobile pre-conference will be held at the University of Washington.
Transportation to the venue from the conference hotel will be provided
at the beginning and end of each day's events. Additionally, the venue
is accessible by public transportation.