[ecrea] Call for Papers - Conference on Stereoscopic Media - March 2012

Wed Dec 28 16:17:57 GMT 2011

Call For Papers - *

Moving Your Storytelling Into the Third Dimension*
Industry Conference with a two-day research tract.

22nd and 23rd March, 2012
Ravensbourne,
6, Penrose Way,
Greenwich,
London,
SE10 0EW

The Latin for perspective is /perspicere (/to see through), seeing beyond boundaries or beyond solidity. The Greeks attempted to evolve a system of perspective around the 5th century B.C. as part of an interest in illusionism and Renaissance artists took this further by developing techniques of using the third dimension in art (Kemp, 1992). Impressionists such as Cezanne broke these 'rules' by arranging objects in order of importance rather than distance from the viewer.

Playing with the Mise-en-scene, or finding new ways to tell a story using the third dimension, is the theme of this second international conference on 3-D stereoscopic media (principally Film and Television). 800 industry delegates will be attending the free two-day conference and we invite papers and presentations from researchers who would like to share their work in this area.

Technical, economic and cultural approaches are welcome, in particular topics which encourage a critical analysis of the opportunities and challenges of 3-D Television and Film. Production and audience perspectives will also be of high interest to delegates as will ethnographic studies which combine applied and basic/pure research, for example explorations into a 'glasses-free' experience, or on children's experiences of 3-D stereoscopic media. We will schedule themed panels in response to the call. Presentations should last no longer than 15 minutes. If you wish to submit a paper/presentation, or if you wish to suggest and chair a panel, the deadline for submissions is *Monday 5th March. *Please send a 500 word abstract to: Lizzie Jackson, (lizzie.jackson /at/ rave.ac.uk). <mailto:(lizzie.jackson /at/ rave.ac.uk)>

The conference is supported by Screen International and draws together an existing community of over 400 directors, producers, technicians, and manufacturers who formed an online community of practice after last year's conference. <mailto:(lizzie.jackson /at/ rave.ac.uk)>For further information: http://3dstorytelling.co.uk/

I hope you will find the event of interest and wish to submit your work. We are keen to support all researchers and doctoral students who are researching this area. If you wish to attend, but not present, please send me an email stating your particular interest.

Best wishes,

Lizzie

--
Dr Lizzie Jackson,
Academic Development Manager: Applied Research

M: [ removed ]
Skype:  london-lizzie.jackson
http://rave.academia.edu/LizzieJackson

Ravensbourne - RIBA Awards Winner for London 2011
Follow: twitter.com/RavensbourneUK <http://twitter.com/RavensbourneUK>