[ecrea] CFP: Ecocinemas of transnational China

Tue Aug 16 13:56:21 GMT 2011

Final CFP for ‘Ecocinemas of transnational China’

A special issue of Interactions – an Intellect journal

Edited by Dr. Pietari Kääpä (University of Helsinki) and Dr. Tommy
Gustafsson (Linnaus University)

Interactions, an Intellect journal, is publishing a peer reviewed collection
of articles on Chinese ecocinema. Our aim is to interrogate ecological
concerns from a transnational angle. We issue this final call for papers as
we have room for two more articles on the topic.

 ‘Ecocinemas of transnational China’ aims for the adoption of theoretical
and methodological tools from transnational cinema studies to address the
very real economic and political factors that are being negotiated and
challenged in much of Chinese cinema. We urge both 1) materialist-industrial
explorations of the potential of cinema to envision and provide more
sustainable practices for cultural production and dissemination; 2)
philosophical-culturalist uses of ecocritical tools to deconstruct films
(applying concepts from ecocritical thinking to existing cultural texts. We
also encourage more specific focus on film culture (industrial,
distribution, exhibition, and reception contexts).

The collection will be published in January-February 2012. First drafts of
articles of 5000-7000 words are thus to be completed by early November 2011
for peer review and final submission in early January.

Please email (pietari.kaapa /at/ gmail.com) for more information on submitting
proposals for the collection.