[ecrea] symposium Frenemies: the love-hate relationship between science and society

Sun Jul 24 17:20:29 GMT 2011

FRENEMIES: THE LOVE-HATE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SCIENCE AND SOCIETY

               SEPTEMBER 14TH 2011
               DE WAAIER   UNIVERSITY OF TWENTE

Science is put in the dock, so it seems. Experts are under attack, there is public agitation on the internet. Yet we cherish expertise as never before, and cite expert sources whenever they suit us. Are we friends, or enemies, or both?

Contributions from:
Jonathan Potter (Loughborough University)
Arie Rip  University of Twente
Klasien Horstman  Maastricht University
Jan Staman Rathenau Institute
Cees van Woerkum  Wageningen University

This symposium looks at the dynamic role of expertise in our society. How should we understand the notion of expertise? What operates as credible expertise, and when? Is scientific expertise overrated, and are other forms of expertise too easily dismissed? Or is it precisely the other way around? And what, if anything, does this mean for communicating science and technology?

Organised by:
Hedwig te Molder  University of Twente – Wageningen University
Tsjalling Swierstra  Maastricht University

Attendance is free of charge.

For further information, please see website<http://www.anorg.chem.uu.nl/frenemies/>