[ecrea] Online Mainline Conference - Alternative Media and Remediation

Mon Jun 20 16:59:29 GMT 2011

PLEASE NOTE: Extended CFP until 27th June 2011

The Online Mainline 2011

Alternative Media and Remediation

Thurs, 15^th September 2011

Birmingham City University

A Screen Cultures Research Group Event

Digital culture innocuously pervades our everyday lived experience. It shapes how we define ourselves, organises our communication and mediates our cultural moment. The Online Mainline event aims to map the territory of the new digital age, examining how the online environment has come to shape our offline world and experiences in new, innovative and productive ways. Impacting upon our social experiences, business organisation and industry connections, the online environment has come to define the ways in which our society becomes mediated across generations and cultures.

Examining how online media functions as a mainline for the mediation and remediation of culture in the new digital age, the Online Mainline event seeks to open up an avenue for dialogue surrounding the uses and limitations of the online context as a tool for social, political and economic benefit. Seeking to analyse the new media and its associated alternative (and in some instances embryonic) media forms in the remediation of culture, areas of research interest that this event will interrogate include:

Blogging and the Podcast

Developing Technologies

Social Networking Sites (Twitter, Facebook, Bebo)

Youtube Generation

Online and Social Organisation

Online as Lifeline

Fandom and Online Creativity

Sharing Online and File Download

Age and the Internet

Online Gaming

Gendering of New Technologies

Online Convergence

Online News

Business and the Online Environment

This list is not exhaustive and a diverse range of submissions are encouraged

Deadline for 300 word proposals: Monday, 27^th June 2011

Final papers should be 20 minutes in duration (including clips and demonstration)

Email submissions to: (onlinemainline2011 /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(onlinemainline2011 /at/ gmail.com)>

Please direct enquiries to:

Amy Jessop and Kerry Gough

Online Mainline 2011

Screen Cultures Research Group

Birmingham City University

School of Media

Room 321 Baker Building

City North Campus

Birmingham B42 2SU

Email: (onlinemainline2011 /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(onlinemainline2011 /at/ gmail.com)>

Proposals should include:

Presenter Contact Details

Biographical information (200 words)

Proposal in Word format (300 words)