[ecrea] CFP: Public Policies and Communications

Thu Mar 24 15:34:03 GMT 2011

The forthcoming issue of*Cuadernos de Informacion*, the Chilean academic
journal edited by the Communications Faculty of the Universidad Catolica de
Chile, will contain a dossier on Public Policies and Communications.  PhD
Ignacio Irarrazaval, Director- Centre for Public Policies of the Pontificia
Universidad Catolica de Chile is the invited editor of this section.

We are inviting contributions from researchers and academics.  We will
welcome articles on this theme as well as those related to other aspects of
communications.

*THE DEADLINE FOR CONTRIBUTIONS IS APRIL. 1st, 2011*

For the dossier, we are interested in research or essays that tackle the
theme from diverse angles. The research questions that may be explored are,
among others:

1 .- Public policies that have a direct incidence on communications and the
media (communication and media policy).

-Transparency laws: the use the media give to these new sources of
information; the limits of transparency; the case of Wikileaks.

-Standards for digital television.

-Standards on radios and communal TV channels.

-Regulation of new media and of social media.

-Media concentration, Is it a valid theme, even after the emergence of
Internet and social and citizens=92 media?

-The existence and mission of public or State media, considering the State
as independent from Government.

2.- Communication campaigns on public policies:

-The expectations they generate on citizens.

-The relationship between communication and effectiveness of public policie=
with a social aim whose purpose is to change habits (obesity, energy use,
intra-family violence, AIDS prevention and others) or those that seek to
generate positive attitudes (respect for ethnic minorities, respect for
teachers, etc.)

-The need to inform and form citizens to take complex decisions derived fro=
public policies: choosing a health plan, a pension plan, etc. Difficulties
in understanding and implementing this information could be considered as a=
aspect of social inequity?

-To what extent can campaigns affect civil liberties when they are issued
with excessive intensity?

-The ethical limits in the dissemination of government achievements,
especially during election campaigns: publicity versus communication.

3. - The various actors and their ability to communicate that turn them int=
public policy setters.

-The influence of the ideas generated by think tanks in the formulation of
the public politics agenda.

-Citizens movements opposed to a specific decision in this context;

-The impact of smart mobs and their coordinated actions by Internet to
protest against or demand actions by authorities.

The phenomena of grassroots democracy. Has political party membership been
replaced in some way by this form of direct participation?

-Lobbying by various social actors.

We are inviting you to send us a text that, preferably, sets out the main
elements of some original study or research. We are also accepting essays
and academic analytical articles of professional relevance.  All must be
unpublished.

--=20
Mar=EDa Olga Delpiano
Editora Cuadernos de Informaci=F3n