[ecrea] cfp: Asia's Civil Spheres: New Media, Urban Public Space, Social Movements

Thu Mar 24 10:05:54 GMT 2011

CALL FOR PAPERS - Asia¡¯s Civil Spheres: New Media, Urban Public Space, Social Movements

Date:     29 Sep 2011 - 30 Sep 2011
Venue:  National University of Singapore

This workshop aims to revisit the
ever-shifting spatialities and connections between political
participation and social change in urban Asia and to explore
re-imaginings of what ¡®political action¡¯, ¡®public space¡¯,
¡®place-making¡¯, and ¡®social movements¡¯ mean in our globally networked
societies. The workshop brings together young scholars and leading
experts working on empirical urban realities, in different cultural and
national contexts, to discuss how political transformation is initiated,
 negotiated, and resisted, in order to advance our understanding of the
challenges that precede and follow highly visible insurgencies and the
ways in which new media are deployed by various actors to either
strengthen or stifle these processes. We invite submission of papers
pertaining to cutting edge research at the nexus of new media, social
activism and movements, and public space.

For further information, please visit:

http://www.ari.nus.edu.sg/events_categorydetails.asp?categoryid=6&eventid=1160