[ecrea] CFP: iDocs - Symposium on Interactive Documentary March 2011

Fri Oct 01 12:24:52 GMT 2010

>i-Docs: Call for Papers and Presentations
>
>In an era of pervasive computing, social media
>and a networked â¬Üinformation societyâ¬",
>digital documentary is embracing new forms.
>Web-docs, docu-games, photo-reportages,
>trans-media projects and locative narratives are
>developing new languages of factual
>communication that challenge the established linear narrative of documentary.
>
>i-Docs is the first lab/symposium to be
>dedicated to the rapidly evolving field of
>interactive documentary. The symposium will be a
>day-long event to showcase new projects and to
>discuss the artistic, economic and political
>implications of new forms of factual representation.
>
>i-Docs is convened by Judith Aston, Sandra
>Gaudenzi and Jonathan Dovey on behalf of the
>Digital Cultures Research Centre, University of
>the West of England, Bristol. The event will be
>held at the Watershed Media Centre in central Bristol on:
>
>Friday, 25th of March 2011.
>
>Participants are invited to present their
>current projects and research. There will also
>be panel discussion, with a view to promoting
>debate between media practitioners,
>commissioning editors, artists and academics.
>
>Proposals for both paper and project presentations should be sent to:
>
>(idocs.symposium /at/ gmail.com) by Monday, 15th of November 2010.
>
>The proposal should clearly outline your
>intentions in no more than 300 words. Links to
>further visual materials can be provided, if appropriate.
>
>Confirmed keynote presentations from: Upian
>(Prison Valley, Gaza/Sderot, Havana/Miami),
>Blast Theory (Rider Spoke, Desert Rain, A
>Machine To See With), Nick Cohen - BBC
>Multiplatform Commissioning Executive for Documentary
>
>Suggested topics / themes:
>
>"       what is an interactive documentary?:
>possible classification  methodologies for a field in constant development
>"       collaborative media and documentary
>making: objectivity, actiivism and shared
>authorship through the screens of mobile phones and web2.0
>"       user-generated content in documentary
>practice: the new role  of the producer and possible models of collaboration
>"       crowd sourcing when documenting reality:
>possible ethical andd political consequences
>"       docu-games and mixed-reality games: can games document the reeal?
>"       database documentaries: navigational
>strategies and new possiibilities for representing multiple points of view
>"       the fine line between new media factual
>art, collaborative joournalism and interactive  documentary
>"       what does the user think?: how do we
>user test, or evaluate uuser experience, of an i-doc?
>"       possible financial models for i-docs:
>who are the financial pplayers and what do they want?
>"       case study presentation and/or analysis of specific i-doc proojects
>
>Selected papers will be published in the Journal
>of Media Practice. Several other publication
>possibilities are being considered.
>
>The cost of attending this exciting event ­
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885