[ecrea] CFP: Doing Women's Film History: Reframing Cinema Past and Future

Fri Oct 01 08:45:38 GMT 2010

>Womens Film History Network  UK/Ireland
>

>Doing Womens Film History: Reframing
>
>Cinema Past and Future
>

>13-15 April 2011
>
>  Centre for Research in Media and Cultural Studies
>
>University of Sunderland
>

>Despite their marginalization in film history,
>women continue to be widely involved in cinema
>as producers, directors, scriptwriters,
>cinematographers, editors, designers, actresses,
>distributors, programmers, cinema managers,
>publicists, critics, audiences. This
>international conference brings together
>researchers, archivists, filmmakers and film
>distributors to explore new research in womens
>film history, asking how this impacts on
>conceptions of cinema and how womens filmmaking
>can be made more visible, accessible and relevant.
>

>Plenary Speakers and Panelists so far confirmed
>include: Debra Zimmerman (Women Make Movies, New
>York); Heide Schlüpmann (Goethe Universität,
>Frankfurt; author of The Uncanny Gaze); Sue
>Harper (Portsmouth University; author of Women
>in British Cinema); Christine Geraghty (Glasgow
>University; author of Women and Soap Opera);
>Laura Mulvey (Birkbeck, London University;
>feminist filmmaker & writer); Felicity Sparrow
>(Central St Martins; Circles); SP-ARK (Sally
>Potter Archive); Jane Gaines (Columbia
>University, Women Film Pioneers Project); Monica
>DallAsta (Bologna University, Women Film
>Pioneers Project); (Pittsburg University, author
>of Wanted: Cultured Ladies Only: Female Stardom
>in India 1930s-1950s); Neepa Majumdar (Pittsburg
>University, author of Wanted: Cultured Ladies
>Only: Female Stardom in India 1930s-1950s).
>

>The conference will also include "screenings
>"forums on teaching & the curriculum "the future
>development of Womens Film History Network  UK/Ireland.
>

>Papers are invited on a broad range of issues
>raised by womens involvement in cinema:
>"womens film historiography: filling gaps or
>changing film history? "relationship between
>feminism & womens film history "historising
>womens film collectives of 1970s and 80s
>
>"impact of women on cinema as audiences,
>campaigners, fans "womens career moves from
>other creative industries into cinema "migrant
>and diasporic womens filmmaking "cross-national
>connections & comparisons " strategies for
>archiving, preservation & exhibition of womens
>films "sources & methodologies for
>gender-oriented film research "impact of
>digitisation on womens filmmaking & future
>histories " womens cinema as critical
>category in post-feminist contexts " womens
>film history & womens film practice now
>"changing the curriculum: critical canons, teaching & film programming
>

>Womens History Review, Journal of British
>Cinema and Television, History Workshop Journal
>and Framework have indicated interest in
>publishing suitable papers, subject to
>reviewers reports. Proposals from post-graduate
>researchers are welcome and some bursaries offered.
>

>Proposals (150 word limit) for presentations of
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885