[ecrea] Call for Papers: Video Games and Cinema

Tue Jul 27 20:18:36 GMT 2010

>MFRU, International Festival of Computer Arts,
>Maribor, Slovenia invites papers on  video games
>and cinema, to be presented at the festival's
>Symposium, taking place on 19. and 20. November
>2010. The festival The International Festival of
>Computer Arts (MFRU), Maribor, Slovenia was
>established in 1994. At that time, it was the
>first of the kind in Slovenia and  among the
>first in the region. During less that two
>decades, it introduced various new ideas into
>public knowledge, from interactive art and
>digital storytelling to body art and robotics.
>It presented groundbreaking works and ideas of
>artist and scholars such as Peter Weibel,
>Allucquére Rosanne Stone, Timothy Druckrey,
>Stelarc, Brian Goldfarb, Van Gogh TV and Yes
>Men, and made generally known work of slovene
>artist such as Edvard Zajec, Vuk Cosic, Igor
>Stromayer and Laibach. Through its various
>activities, from exhibitions to public
>performances and lectures, MFRU became the
>platform for presentation and exchange of
>innovative ideas  that shaped significantly new
>media and computer arts theory and artistic
>practices in Slovenia, the region and the world.
>2010 This year, the topic of MFRU is NEW
>PLAYSCAPES ­ EXPLORING HORIZONS OF IMAGINATION.
>The staring point is the iimportance of
>transformation for the future of the world,
>argued for by French philosopher Edgar Morin
>(Quand un système est incapable de traiter ses
>problèmes vitaux, il se dégrade, se
>désintègre ou alors il est capable de susciter
>un meta-système à même de traiter ses
>problèmes : il se métamorphose,  whole article
>available
>on
>http://mneaquitaine.wordpress.com/2010/01/10/eloge-de-la-metamorphose-par-edgar-morin/).
>Focus is on computer video games - on the one
>hand as the critique of the gambling as a
>guiding principle of contemporary western
>societies, on the other hand as one of the prime
>and most generally accessible ventures of
>creativity and imagination. Actually, video
>games in many respects surpassed the movies,
>from new, non-linear forms of story-telling to
>modes of narration, complexity of imaginary
>spaces, techniques of visualizations and
>representations. Symposium - Video Games and
>Cinema, Re-play Within the symposium, which has
>traditionally been one of the pilars of the
>MFRU, we are going to address this topic by
>rethinking the changing relationship between
>Video Games and Cinema. We welcome contributions
>dealing with various aspects of visualization,
>narration, user experience and reception, from
>the perspective of the actual experience of
>gaming, but also from more general perspective
>of the virtualization of environment and the
>role of imagination in contemporary
>medias-capes. Please sent abstracts of 200 words
>to (simpozij /at/ mfru.org) by September 15, together
>with short c.v. and affiliation of the person
>proposing the paper. Send all inquiries to (melita.zajc /at/ gmail.com).

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885