[ecrea] Post COP 15: Triple C Conference : Climate ? Change ? Communication

Sun Feb 07 09:48:20 GMT 2010

Deadline for Abstract: February 15
*_

RUC Sunrise

Triple C Conference

Climate ­ Change ­Communication

New Perspectives after the COP15

Homepage : http://sunrise.ruc.dk

SUNRISE 2010 Conference Announcement:

The RUC Sunrise Triple C Conference: Climate ­ Change ­ Communication, will take place from the 20th-22nd of April, 2010 at Roskilde University in an attempt to address the various impacts of climate change on a regional, as well as global level after the COP15. The Sunrise conference combines outreach and academia by providing a space for scientists, academics, business people, NGOs and students to meet and share their ideas.

In light of December?s COP15, the challenges of climate change are beginning to impact how we envision the future and what adjustments we can make now, in order to create a sustainable difference. Roskilde University would like to turn its attention to the pragmatic, as well as visionary options of addressing various climate change challenges, by looking at different types of research and action in communication, culture, and clean-technology.

Challenges to our cultures relationship with nature are beginning to demand a rethinking and restructuring of conventional notions of mobility, energy, agriculture, construction and consumption. Clean-Technology will help usher in new ways of how we organize society, helping to convert our fossil fuel economy to a low carbon future. Communication plays an essential role in climate change adaptation and mitigation, helping to bridge the gap between science and society, technology and culture.

The conference spans over three days. On day one, the conference will host a panel of distinguished keynote speakers, such as Mads Øvlisen, Member of the UN Global Compact

On day two participants will split up into three academic tracks: culture, communication and clean technology. Students will also present their own research on this day, namely in the form of posters.

On day three, participants will ride the klimaexpress, a bus tour which stops at various locations in Zealand in order to see what types of sustainable development initiatives are taking place at the local level.

Please refer the following attachment if you are interested in submitting a paper to the conference.

We are looking forward to see you in April

On behalf of the Sunrise conference:

Thomas Tufte
Professor
Dept. of Communication,
Business and Information Technologies (CBIT)
Roskilde University

*Per Homann Jespersen *
Associate Professor
Department of Environmental, Social and Spatial Change (ENSPAC)
Roskilde University

Søren Riis
Assistant professor
Department of Culture and Identity (CUID)
Roskilde University

SUNRISE 2010  RUC Sunrise
Triple C Conference
Climate ­ Change ­Communication
New Perspectives after the COP15

Homepage: http://sunrise.ruc.dk

Call for Papers

On behalf of the RUC Sunrise 'Triple C conference: Climate, Change, Communication' the organizing committee cordially invites the submission of paper abstracts related to any of the following themes:

Culture: Climate change is radically challenging nearly all aspects of human culture, from micro-level individual habits of transportation and consumption to the macro-level organization of global institutions and networks. Papers may address issues connected to following questions: What are the cultural tools of mitigating and adapting to climate change? What is a sustainable culture? Does climate change declare a renaissance of nature in culture?

Communication: How we communicate about climate change within the media and our everyday lives can have a profound impact on the actions we decide to take. Communicating about climate change requires correctly reported information in the media, as well as the articulation of ownership, participation and action amongst all relevant stakeholders. How can communication serve as a fundamental articulator of social mobilization in the mitigation of and adaptation to climate change?

Clean-Technology:_ Mitigation and adaptation to climate changes has a technical aspect that influences most sectors of our societies. The technological aspect focuses on the design and implementation of clean-tech solutions in sectors such as energy production, transport, agriculture, and manufacturing. What are the barriers to the implementation of climate technology and what actions are needed to bring about the required changes?

Submissions to be considered for presentation at the conference must contain an abstract in English of 150-250 words. Please remember to write your name, institution, country and paper title. The abstract should consist of the following:

Statement of purpose

Paper description

Your conclusions or final summary

*_Abstracts should be received by February 15, 2010._* Abstracts will be peer reviewed and a notice of acceptance will be sent out by February 22, 2010.

You can submit your abstract through the SUNRISE HOMEPAGE at:
http://sunrise.ruc.dk

If your abstract is accepted there will be the opportunity to have it published in a peer reviewed selection of conference papers

Presentations will last approx 30 minutes with an additional 10 minutes for Q&A.

--
Thomas Tufte, Professor
Bldg 42-3, Roskilde University, POB 260, DK-4000 Roskilde, Denmark

Principal Investigator of MEDIeA 2009-2013 (Media Empowerment & Democracy in East Africa) Further info at: Ørecomm, Consortium for Communication & Glocal Change http://orecomm.net