Archive for calls, May 2005

[eccr] cfp: Culture Machine 8: 'Community'

Wed May 18 12:52:20 GMT 2005

>Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:30:40 +0100
>From: gary hall <(gary.hall /at/ connectfree.co.uk)>
>To: CSAA discussion list <(csaa-forum /at/ lists.cdu.edu.au)>
>Subject: [csaa-forum] cfp: Culture Machine 8: 'Community'
>Sender: (csaa-forum-bounces /at/ lists.cdu.edu.au)
>
>CALL FOR PAPERS
>
>CULTURE MACHINE 8
>
>COMMUNITY
>
>February, 2006
>http://www.culturemachine.net
>
>Editor for this issue: Dorota Glowacka
>
>In recent years, the notion of the community has emerged as an important
>
>as well as contested field of cultural and theoretical exploration.  In
>his influential study Imagined Communities (1983), social anthropologist
>
>Benedict Anderson discusses the concept of the community as it is
>related to the idea of the nation.  As an imagined cultural and
>political artefact, the nation provides a collectivity with a sense of
>
>continuity and cohesiveness, while concealing the foundational violence
>that underlies such collective myth.  While Andersons articulation of
>the community is still largely circumscribed by the political concept of
>
>the nation state, philosophical inquiries into the notion of the
>community by Jean-Luc Nancy (The Inoperative Community, 1983), Maurice
>Blanchot (The Unavowable Community, 1983) and Giorgio Agamben (The
>Coming Community, 1993), seek to open it up toward a broader
>politico-ethical context.  Nancys call for the deconstruction of the
>immanent community has been particularly influential: community as the
>dominant Western political formation, founded upon a totalizing,
>exclusionary myth of national unity, must be tirelessly unworked in
>order to accommodate more inclusive and fluid forms of dwelling together
>
>in the world, of being-in-common.
>
>In this issue, we propose to engage in multiple explorations of the
>community as a socio-historical, politico-ethical and cultural
>construct:
>
>    * With the demise of the traditional community as related to the
>      nation-state, what alternative formations or new collectivities,
>      bound together by a very different nexus of belonging, have emerged
>
>      in its stead?
>    * How viable is the metaphor of the global community (the global
>      village)?
>    * Can the community be predicated on the ethical, perhaps
>      cosmopolitan vision of sharing and unimpeded border-crossing? Or is
>
>      it, on the contrary, yet another homogenizing, totalizing fantasy
>      that only benefits the empire of the capital?
>    * How does it relate to such increasingly unstable concepts as
>      citizenship or multiculturalism?
>    * What is the function of the community in the rapidly shifting
>      geopolitical context, of which the European community is a
>      particularly fecund contemporary example, as is a plethora of its
>      postcolonial, post-Western articulations (in the Middle East and
>      Africa, for instance)?
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info