Archive for October 2021

[Commlist] CFP: Understanding Comics at 30, a special issue of INKS: The Journal of the Comics Studies Society

Thu Oct 14 10:03:39 GMT 2021

*Call For Papers*

*//*

*/Understanding Comics/**at 30: A Special Issue of/INKS/*

We welcome brief proposals for both comics and prose essays that explore the role of Scott McCloud’s/Understanding Comics/in comics studies, its effect on comics aesthetics and pedagogy, and alternatives to its conceptions of the comics medium. We hope that this special issue will include a range of methodological and interdisciplinary approaches to /Understanding Comics,/so we encourage artists, creatives, critics, historians, makers, scholars, and more to contribute!

Proposals should provide a brief abstract for a final essay of 2,000-3,000 words, or a 1 page comic (for print at 5x7.5 inches). Proposals should be approximately 200 words (or a combination of text and sketches) with a brief biography, and they are due by December 1, 2021.

Proposed essays and comics should fit within these two broad headings and set of questions:

 1. “Understanding /Understanding Comics/”: How has/Understanding
    Comics/influenced comics art, comics studies, intellectual history,
    pedagogy, theory and criticism, and more? What critical contexts can
    help us to understand/Understanding Comics/?

 2. “Alternatives to/Understanding Comics/”: What approaches to comics,
    cartooning, and sequential art provide alternative visions of the
    medium? What has changed about the broader field of comics, and our
    knowledge of its history, since 1993?

We especially welcome approaches that place/Understanding Comics/in interdisciplinary contexts, as well as approaches that experiment with form, in the spirit of McCloud’s own “comic book about comics.” We wish to include comics and prose essays from a wide range of practitioners, professionals, and scholars in the comics field today.

Contributors will be notified of their proposal’s status by mid-December, and full-length comics and essays will be due on March 15, 2022.

Proposals and questions should be emailed to Rachel Miller ((rachelmiller.4442 /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(rachelmiller.4442 /at/ gmail.com)>) and Daniel Worden ((dxwind /at/ rit.edu) <mailto:(dxwind /at/ rit.edu)>) by December 1, 2021.

CFP is also available here:t.ly/YFNI