Archive for October 2017

[ecrea] PostDoc position at Uni Sydney in Information Systems and Social Science

Fri Oct 20 10:00:01 GMT 2017

Subject: PostDoc position at Uni Sydney in Information Systems and Social Science

We are currently seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Researcher in the Discipline of Business Information Systems, at the Associate Lecturer level. The position will be located in the ARC Linkage project “Evidence-based Management for Enterprise Social Networking Success (LP150101261), co-funded by the Australian Research Council and Capgemini Australia Pty Ltd.

We are looking for a candidate with a somewhat unusual background. While the position is in Business Information Systems, the committee would like someone with both a continental philosophical inclination and an understanding of digital phenomena.

About the project:
Traditional top-down management techniques assume that technologies are introduced into businesses to enhance and automate predefined business processes. Increasingly however, businesses are confronted with disruptive technologies (such as Enterprise Social Networks – ESN) whose purpose and business significance is not initially clear and only gradually discovered through active user experimentation. These disruptive digital technologies can only realise their innovative potential if properly managed, yet traditional techniques are both inadequate and too conservative to apply to disruptive technologies. This project develops and tests a novel theory and methodology for the successful introduction of disruptive technologies to organisations. It is innovative because it creates and tests new theory that frames the introduction of disruptive technology as guided user experimentation. It critically questions traditional roles and responsibilities of management in relation to technology introduction. The project draws on continental philosophy and hermeneutics to understand introduction of new technology as a managed dialectic of interpretation and edification.

Start date: 1 February 2018, intending applicants are welcome to seek further information about the position from Professor Kai Riemer on (kai.riemer /at/ sydney.edu.au)

About you
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting people aligned to these values. To be successful as a candidate, you will have:

• A PhD in information systems, organisation studies, social sciences, or a related field • Demonstrated ability to achieve research outcomes with refereed publications at international level • A tentative research program in line with the research project in the fields of Digital Technology, Workplace studies, Digital Infrastructures, or cognate disciplines that study technology using social science perspectives • A demonstrated theoretical and methodological background relevant to the project, and familiarity with interpretivist, qualitative research approaches, and non-dualist, continental philosophical positions (e.g. phenomenology and hermeneutics)

For a full list of selection criteria please refer to the online application system: http://bit.ly/2xwIrjF

About us
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students. We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.

The Digital Disruption Research Group (DDRG), in the Discipline of Business Information Systems, brings together colleagues from academia and industry who share an interest in the wider topic areas of technology in business and the future of business and work. The DDRG is open to a wide range of topics and approaches without restricting possible research initiatives sharing an interest in investigating and exploring the particular nature and characteristics of disruptive change and its implications for business practice. The research group is open to like-minded colleagues who want to be involved in researching such issues with an interest beyond the immediate everyday set of problems. We generally take a balanced and critical view of technology and aim to look beyond any hype of the day. The group has become a vibrant meeting space for colleagues to discuss and link their individual research initiatives, for exploring new ideas and establishing new research projects, for brainstorming, formulating and disseminating ideas. We are equally interested in ‘doing’ as we are in ‘thinking’.

Postdoctoral Research Associate in Business Information Systems
The University of Sydney Business School
Position 1927/0917

• Research only- Fixed-term for 2 years, Level A Step 6 at 0.8 FTE.
• The successful candidate may negotiate additional responsibilities to make up the difference to 1.0 FTE. • At 1.0 FTE, remuneration package is $106K p.a. which includes base salary, leave loading and up to 17% superannuation
• Applications close 27 October 2017
• Apply online here: http://bit.ly/2xwIrjF
• Position start date: 1 February 2018.
• For questions don’t hesitate to email from Professor Kai Riemer on (kai.riemer /at/ sydney.edu.au)