Archive for October 2017

[ecrea] communication +1 - new issue on Media:Culture:Policy

Tue Oct 17 06:16:02 GMT 2017

communication +1 is pleased to present:

Media:Culture:Policy

*Edited by Sean Johnson Andrews, Janice Peck, Gilbert B. Rodman, and Fan Yang (杨帆)*

The relationship between culture and policy has long been a major topic for media and cultural studies. With this issue, we hope to broaden the meaning of cultural policy, from policies that are explicitly regulating something we call the “cultural” (including media or traditional rituals or symbols) to include the practice of policy-making and the cultural legitimation of law and policy itself, regardless of the object or dimension of social life it regulates. The essays in this issue argue for (or at least accept) an understanding of policy as a cultural production representing certain ideological outlooks, and thus implicitly suggest that cultural policy studies should encompass a wide range of policies; at the same time, the essays are interested in the cultural mechanisms and means through which policies are promulgated and enforced - from think tanks to social media flak, from the global circulation of ideologies to the local practices of appropriation/resistance.

To the authors we extend our deep gratitude for their contributions. To the readers we extend our invitation for input and suggestions. The following pages begin a conversation we hope will continue. And it is to those whom have spoken we shall turn.

For free access to the issue, and all of communication +1, please visit http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cpo/ <http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cpo/>

communication +1 is an open access journal supported by University of Massachusetts Amherst Libraries and the Department of Communication at the University of Massachusetts Amherst

*Advisory Board*

Kuan-Hsing Chen, National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan
Sean Johnson Andrews, Columbia College Chicago
Nathalie Casemajor, University of Québec Outaouais
Jimena Canales, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
Bernard Geoghegan, Kings College, London
Lawrence Grossberg, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
David Gunkel, Northern Illinois University
Peter Krapp, University of California Irvine
Catherine Malabou, Kingston University, United Kingdom
Jussi Parikka, University of Southampton, United Kingdom
John Durham Peters, Yale University
Gil Rodman, University of Minnesota
Florian Sprenger, Goethe-University Frankfurt, Germany
Johnathan Sterne, McGill University
Ted Striphas, University of Colorado, Boulder
Christina Vagt, University of California Santa Barbara
Greg Wise, Arizona State University

Editors:
Briankle G. Chang, University of Massachusetts Amherst
Zachary J. McDowell, University of Illinois at Chicago