Archive for October 2017

[ecrea] Wageningen University & Research is looking for a Professor and Chair of Strategic Communication (COM)

Tue Oct 03 09:52:50 GMT 2017

Wageningen University & Research is looking for a Professor and Chair of Strategic Communication (COM), Wageningen University & Research (f/m).

We are looking for

An innovative and dynamic scholar to lead the Strategic Communication Group (0.8 - 1.0 fte) at Wageningen University & Research.

The Strategic Communication Group at Wageningen University has a strong 50-year tradition in researching and teaching critical, engaged, focused and reflexive scholarship. Within the life sciences theme of Wageningen University, the group’s research focuses on communication in action related to issues of global importance, including public health, safe and healthy food, conservation of nature and sustainable agriculture. Within these domains the group focuses on: the dynamics and consequences of communicative strategies by organisations; the everyday communication strategies that citizens or consumers employ to achieve their own ends; and the role of communication in shaping multistakeholder processes.

As head of the group, the new chair holder is expected to further develop an innovative research and education programme at Wageningen. The chair holder will ensure the group continues to grow into a supportive working environment for a diverse group of young and established academics. The successful applicant will also further strengthen the groups profile in national and international networks, as well as effectively and constructively manage the group’s internal processes.

We ask

The successful candidate will:

• Have a proven scientific track record in the field of communication sciences, or a closely related field, with a vision for future research and education on communicative interaction among individuals and organisations in the domains of food, health and environment;

• Demonstrate an ability to lead research in a theoretically and methodologically diverse group and show the potential to produce work of recognised international quality;

• Enjoy managing professionals and demonstrate an inspiring, collegial, and unifying leadership style characterized by the passion to develop people, to build teams, and to create synergy;

• Be an inspiring teacher and supervisor, with proven ability to develop courses at Bachelor, Master, and PhD level, and an interest and capacity to innovate teaching methods;

• Have the ability to effectively interact with communication professionals and societal partners in the development of research and education;

• Hold a PhD degree in communication science or a related discipline;

• Possess a proven capacity of acquiring, leading and managing externally-funded research projects.

We offer Besides a competitive salary, we offer a number of additional benefits, such as an end-of-year extra month salary, a holiday allowance and a pension plan with the pension fund for government and education, ABP. Applicants from abroad moving to the Netherlands may qualify for a special tax relief, by which 30% of their salary is exempt from tax.

Equal opportunities employer We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.

Contact information Further information about the position can be obtained from Professor Dr Simon Bush, Chair of the Appointment Advisory Committee (Email: (simon.bush /at/ wur.nl) Tel: +31 317483310). More detailed information on the profile and the COM Chair Group is available upon request (via (esther.roquas /at/ wur.nl)).

Application You are invited to send your complete application to Dr Esther Roquas, (esther.roquas /at/ wur.nl). Please include an application letter with curriculum vitae and a separate list of publications. The closing date for applications is 24 November 2017.

The Appointment Advisory Committee will interview selected candidates for this position on 15 January 2018. The Committee will thereafter invite short-listed candidates for a second interview and a trial lecture.

Wageningen University & Research The mission of Wageningen University & Research is ‘to explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life’. Wageningen University & Research focuses on the domain ‘healthy food and living environment’. We do not just develop top-quality expertise; we also help translate our knowledge into practice worldwide. That is why we do fundamental research all over the world. We also train professionals who, in the near and distant future, will discover breakthroughs in science and technology. We are ranked among the top international universities in the field of life sciences. Our education programme has been graded for twelve years in a row as the best in The Netherlands.​