Archive for January 2014

[ecrea] Call for Papers: ECC 2014 -Television Studies Section

Fri Jan 10 13:15:10 GMT 2014

Call for Papers: Television Studies Section

The Television Studies Section of ECREA invites proposals for papers, panels and posters to the 5th ECREA general communications conference to be held in Lisbon, at the Lusofona University, 12-15 November 2014.

It is now 40 years since Raymond Williams argued for the first time that television’s medium specificity was determined by ‘flow’, and it is also 40 years since Kaarle Nordenstreng and Tapio Varis used the same term in order to describe the movement of television content across the globe. The Television Studies Section would be particularly interested in receiving papers that engage with the concepts connected to these landmark works and reflected on the state of television and television studies today. However, all proposals that address issues of television are invited.

Possible questions that proposals might want to address are:
•	What defines television in the age of convergence?
•	How can we rethink television theory and concepts, such as (cultural) flow, television as cultural forum, etc?
•	How is television produced, marketed and distributed nationally or internationally?
•	Are audiences given a more prominent role in the production of television for convergent media?
•	What role does public service television have?
•	What do audiences do with content?
•	What discourses are reflected in the production and consumption of television texts?
•	How are television texts shaped in an age of on-demand viewership?
•	What spaces are there in television for viewers to remain citizens as well as consumers?
•	What cultural economic models of television productions are useful for our understanding of convergent television?
•	What are the main research topics for our discipline in an age when television as we know it supposedly no longer exists?

Please submit your proposals by the 28th February 2014 via the ECC Conference website (http://ecrea2014.ulusofona.pt/)
We would also be interested in hearing from members who are interested in organising a pre-conference to any theme related to television.

Abstracts should be written in English and contain a clear outline of the argument, the theoretical framework, and, where applicable, methodology and results. The preferred length of the individual abstracts is between 400 and 500 words (the maximum is 500 words). Panel proposals, which should consist of five individual contributions, combine a panel abstract with five individual abstracts, each of which are between 400 and 500 words.
Participants may submit more than one proposal, but only one paper or poster by the same first author will be accepted. First authors can still be second (or third, etc.) author of other papers or posters and can still act as chair or respondent of a panel. All proposals should be submitted through the conference website from 1 December 2013 to 28 February 2014. Early submission is strongly encouraged. Please note that this submission deadline will not be extended.

Timeline

Deadline for abstracts: 28 February 2014
Notification of Acceptance: 30 April 2014
End of Early Bird Registration Fee: 31 August 2014
Deadline for Online Registration: 31 October 2014