Archive for March 2009

[ecrea] Communication and Uncertainty - Theoretical and Empirical Approaches to the Study of Complexity and Contingency in Communication

Mon Mar 30 12:58:00 GMT 2009

Title: "Communication and Uncertainty - Theoretical and Empirical Approaches to the Study of Complexity and Contingency in Communication".

The deadline for submissions is 18 April 2009.

Target participants: researchers in communication, social sciences, philosophy and related disciplines
Venue: University of Padua
Date: May 15 2009
Contact: (vincenzo.romania /at/ gmail.com)
Website: http://www.philosophy-of-communication.eu/

An informal workshop exploring recent research and theory development focussing on complexity, contingency and risk in communication Any human communication carries an element of 'risk': uncertainty in communicative performances can occur at different stages and in different forms, involving both individual and collective actors.
In particular, it can regard:
(1) from an interactionist perspective, the framing of the situation - what's happening here?; (2) the transformation of the intentions of the emitting actor(s) to a message adequately perceived and received by the interlocutor(s) - how to tell something that will be understood in the way I\wemeant (and how do we know what we mean before we
communicate)?;
(3) the possibility, after Luhmann, of a translatability or un-translatability of a message or a discourse between operative distinctions and contrasting codes among the actors involved - how can we understand each other?;
(4) in intercultural terms, a connected process of approximation to the other;
(5) finally, the process of communication itself, intended, in pragmatic terms, as a way to reduce uncertainties or, in the terms of conflict theory, as a way to negotiate among contrasting points of view and systems of meaning. Because of the centrality of communicative action for the construction, reproduction, mediatisation and reflection of social structures, uncertainty in communication remains a complex and relevant issue for philosophy and for the social sciences. In short, communicative uncertainties arise on account of different reasons. There is an inherent ambiguity in the communicative exchanges of everyday life due to the features of language, of role taking, and more generally of interaction. Also, the environments in which communication occurs are becoming more and more complex because of different phenomena such as economical, cultural and political globalization, rapid social change, technological innovation. We can perhaps say that studying the relation between communication and uncertainty is one of the best ways to understand the emerging features of large scale post-modern social structures. Our workshop deals with the question how the social sciences approach uncertainty in communication processes in complex societies. It aims to bring together researchers and educators who are working on uncertainty in communication or related topics. The workshop will have an informal character, with plenty of room for discussion and interaction. Contributions discussing work in progress are welcome, as are more advanced statements of research results or theory development. Contributions are invited which may address all relevant aspects. Theoretical and empirical proposals are both welcome. Please send abstracts (max. 200 words) for 30-minute presentations via email to the organizers Vincenzo Romania and Johan Siebers.

The presentations will be arranged into a number of thematic sessions.
The deadline for submissions is 18 April 2009.