[ecrea] CFP: Journal of Adaptation in Film and Performance

Wed Sep 24 08:53:05 GMT 2008

Journal of Adaptation in Film and Performance

ISSN 17536421

Published by Intellect

Editors: Prof Richard J. Hand, University of Glamorgan & Dr Katja Krebs, University of Bristol.

Assistant editor: Dr Márta Minier, University of Glamorgan.

Reviews editor: Dr Du¹ka Radosavljeviæ, University of Kent.

Call for submissions

Aims and scope

Adaptation and translation in the form of the conversion of oral, historical or fictional narratives into stage drama has been common practice for centuries. In our own time the processes of cross-generic transformation continue to be extremely important in theatre as well as in the film and other media industries. Adaptation and the related areas of translation and intertextuality continue to have a central place in our culture with a profound resonance across our civilizations. As an academic discipline, Adaptation Studies has begun to establish itself in the last few decades as an important area of scholarship and research which - alongside Translation Studies - continues to make significant contributions to our analysis and understanding of a complex and increasingly diverse world culture.

The Journal of Adaptation in Film and Performance is a recently established peer-reviewed journal designed to engage with specific issues relating to performance on stage, film, television, radio and other media. Embracing comfortably these disciplines under the umbrella of adaptation theories and practices, it attempts to challenge widespread views of national cultural histories and global constructions of performance culture by analysing methods, histories and occurrences of adaptation and translation across a range of media.

We would like to invite contributions that offer historical, theoretical, practice-based and pedagogy-orientated considerations and discussions of adaptation and translation in/for performance in the context of one or more of the following topics:

   * Theatre
   * Film
   * Television
   * Radio
   * Music
   * Dance
   * Opera
   * Gaming
   * Graphic narratives

The Journal of Adaptation in Film and Performance also features a 'Practitioners' Perspectives' section on processes of adaptations and translations examined from the point-of-view of the making.

Short 'Notes and Comments' contributions (up to 1,000 words) that facilitate debate and exchange and interviews with practitioners and scholars will also be considered.

Submission details

Please, send your completed papers (4,000 - 6,000 words) accompanied by an abstract and a short biographical note to the editors, Richard Hand and Katja Krebs. We receive submissions on an ongoing basis. If you would like to discuss any specific proposals before submitting a completed paper, please contact the editors.

For further information on the journal please visit <http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals.php?issn=17536421>http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals.php?issn=17536421

or contact us at: <mailto:(rhand /at/ glam.ac.uk)>(rhand /at/ glam.ac.uk), <mailto:(k.krebs /at/ bristol.ac.uk)>(k.krebs /at/ bristol.ac.uk) or <mailto:(mminier /at/ glam.ac.uk)>(mminier /at/ glam.ac.uk).

With regard to the reviews section please email <mailto:(d.radosavljevic /at/ kent.ac.uk)>(d.radosavljevic /at/ kent.ac.uk).

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
New book:
Discourse Theory and Cultural Analysis. Media, Arts and Literature.
Nico Carpentier & Erik Spinoy (Eds.) @ Hampton Press
http://www.hamptonpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1-57273-810-3&Category_Code=Q208
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/