[ecrea] World cities, their media and information networks

Fri May 16 20:16:43 GMT 2008

>Information, Society and Justice
>ISSN: 1756-1078 (Online)
>http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/depts/dass/isj
>
>Call for papers
>Volume 2 No. 1 December 2008
>
>Special issue: World cities, their media and information networks
>
>Guest Editors
>Shehina Fazal, Department of Applied Social Sciences, London Metropolitan
>University, UK
>Professor Ali Memon, Environment, Society and Design Division, Lincoln
>University, New Zealand
>
>In this special issue, the guest editors aim to bring together interested
>researchers to discuss recent developments of media and information networks
>in the major cities of the world. The objective is to map the growth of such
>developments and assess the economic significance of the immigrant,
>ethnic and diasporic media and information sectors in these cities.
>Further, it is essential that we understand how these local
>developments connect, if at all, with the expanding global media actors.
>
>The Special Issue will examine the above processes and their broader
>implications, and present empirical and theoretical work around the
>following general themes:
>" What is the role of the city as a location for films and television
>programmes aimed at immigrant and diaspora communities and how do these
>images connect with the homelands?
>" Does the growth of immigrant and diasporic media and information networks
>lead to the emergence of ethnospecific global media?
>" Are these developments addressing issues of cultural maintenance and
>renewal or are they marginal to the national media ecology and overlooked in
>the emergence of a multicultural and international public sphere?
>

>Deadlines:
>
>Abstract submission (optional): 30 June 2008
>
>Paper submission: 31 August 2008
>

>If you are interested in contributing to this special issue of the ISJ
>journal, please send a message in the first instance to Shehina Fazal, at
>(s.fazal /at/ londonmet.ac.uk) or (shehinafazal /at/ hotmail.com) mentioning your name(s),
>name of institution, and the title of your paper.
>
>You should include the following in your initial contact:
>" title of paper,
>" name(s) of author(s) including name of institution, postal address,
>telephone, fax and e-mail addresses
>" the abstract text (at least 300 but not more than 500 words)
>
>Further information at: www.londonmet.ac.uk/isj

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/