[eccr] Seminar for August: Rethinking Cultural Research.

Thu Jul 08 05:49:03 GMT 2004

>THE CENTRE FOR CULTURAL RESEARCH, University of Western Sydney
>Invites you to attend
>
>RETHINKING CULTURAL RESEARCH AND CULTURAL POLICY: THE CASE OF EDUCATIONAL
>REFORM IN HONG KONG.
>Presented by: PROFESSOR STEPHEN CHAN AND DR HUI PO-KEUNG
>DEPARTMENT OF CULTURAL STUDIES, LINGNAN UNIVERSITY HONG KONG
>
>WEDNESDAY 4 AUGUST 2004  3-5PM
>UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN SYDNEY PARAMATTA CAMPUS
>THE GALLERY: FEMALE ORPHAN SCHOOL, BLD EZ
>
>During the first six months of 2004, the Kwan Fong Cultural Research and
>Development programme at Lingnan University has been commissioned by the
>Curriculum Development Institute of the Hong Kong Government's Education
>Bureau to offer a series of intensive training workshops for local school
>teachers on the subject of Integrated Humanities (IH).  Meanwhile, our
>project team took the opportunity to conduct a pilot study on the
>implementation of the new IH curriculum in a particular local school.  The
>workshop and the study provide us with first-hand data and nuanced
>perspectives for understanding the complex process involved in school
>educational practice in the general field of the humanities.  Together they
>bring out challenging questions for us as Cultural Studies scholars having
>to deal with emerging issues in public cultural planning and education.  In
>this paper, we shall attempt to re-think the critical functions of cultural
>research and its productive links to the shaping of public life in specific
>social contexts.  On the basis of our on-going case-study, we hope to
>examine the problems of local cultural policy in light of its implications
>for cultural research, and to discuss the relationships between critical
>pedagogy and cultural planning with reference to the broader institutional
>condition of cultural management and development.
>
>Stephen CHAN is Professor of Cultural Studies and Director of the Master of
>Cultural Studies degree at Lingnan University, Hong Kong. Founder of the
>Hong Kong Cultural Studies Programme (1994-97) at The Chinese University of
>Hong Kong, Chan has published several volumes on Hong Kong culture and
>identity for the Hong Kong Cultural Studies book series brought out by
>Oxford UP Hong Kong (in Chinese). His current scholarly interests are split
>between the study of popular sensibility and local-global flows in Hong Kong
>action cinema, and the re-configuration of cultural studies as a
>community-oriented critical project through involvement in school
>educational reform.
>
>HUI Po-keung received his PhD in Sociology from the State University of New
>York at Binghamton in 1995. He is now teaching at the Cultural Studies
>Department of Lingnan University in Hong Kong. His main research interests
>are cultural economy, history of capitalism, alternative development, and
>critical pedagogy. He has co-edited 6 volumes of the Cultural and Social
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info