[eccr] Mid-term evaluation of FP6 instruments

Wed Jul 07 18:27:12 GMT 2004

>Mid-term evaluation of FP6 instruments praises ambition, but sees room for
>improvement on implementation
>
>Date : 2004-07-05
>
>General Information :
>   Ramon Marimon, Spanish Secretary of State between 2000 and 2002 and
>                 chair of a high level expert panel charged with carrying
> out a
>                 mid-term evaluation of the new instruments introduced for
> the Sixth
>                 Framework Programme (FP6) , presented the panel's
> findings to the
>                 informal Competitiveness Council on 3 July. The report
> contains a
>                 number of recommendations on the Integrated Projects and
> Networks
>                 of Excellence, some of which can be implemented in FP6,
> and some of
>                 which should be introduced in FP7, Dr Marimon told CORDIS
> News.
>
>                 As highlighted in the report, the scientific community
> had high
>                 expectations of FP6, and in particular the new
> instruments. As
>                 these expectations have been only partially fulfilled,
> sections of
>                 the report appear rather negative. However, as emphasised
> by Dr
>                 Marimon, participants in the study were generally very
> positive
>                 about the new instruments in terms of their objectives
> and ambition.
>                 'The criticisms focus more on implementation and perceptions
>                 regarding size.'
>
>                 'The most important insight to come out of the study is
> that we
>                 must get more in line with what the scientific community
> is willing
>                 and able to do,' said Dr Marimon.
>
>                 The 12 recommendations drafted by Dr Marimon's panel
> cover a wide
>                 range of issues, including clarification of the
> instruments' goals,
>                 increased flexibility for participants, critical mass, the
>                 difference between Integrated Projects and STREPs (specific
>                 targeted research projects) , support for innovative
> research
>                 groups, small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs)  and
> project
>                 evaluation.
>
>                 Two of the principal concerns of those who participated
> in the
>                 study are the costs involved in submitting a proposal, and
>                 perceptions regarding how large a project consortium need be.
>
>                 'It is a common misconception that the New Instruments
> should be
>                 very large,' states the report's executive summary.
> ''Critical
>                 mass' depends on the topic, the thematic area, the
> participants and
>                 the potential impact and added value. The concept of 'one
> size fits
>                 all' should not be applied across all thematic areas and
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info
E-mail: (Nico.Carpentier /at/ kubrussel.ac.be)