Archive for October 2003

[eccr] Marxism, Media Studies and Culture

Thu Oct 02 19:54:53 GMT 2003

>>Marxism & Media Studies
>>
>>Key Concepts & Contemporary Trends
>

>by Mike Wayne
>
>>***************************************************
>>Pluto Press. Marxism and Culture Series.
>

>>Although media studies is a popular academic discipline, there are
>>remarkably few books that analyse it from a specifically Marxist
>>perspective. Mike Wayne's book is ideal for all students of media studies
>>who are interested in bringing a radical political methodology to bear on
>>their work. He presents an accessible guide to key Marxist concepts and
>>shows how to apply them to contemporary cultural analysis.
>>
>>Drawing on Marx, Lukacs, Gramsci, Habermas, Jameson and other writers, this
>>book provides a comprehensive exposition of the key concepts required for a
>>Marxist analysis of the media and current cultural trends. Retooling and
>>redeeming such concepts as class, mode of production, culture industries,
>>the state, base-superstructure, ideology, hegemony, knowledge and social
>>interests,  and commodity fetishism, this book ranges across film,
>>television, the internet and print media. The analysis is carefully grounded
>>in case studies ranging from digital file swapping to Disney, from reality
>>TV show Big Brother to the spirits and spectres in such films as The Others,
>>The Devil's Backbone and Dark City, which illuminate the fetishisms of
>>culture and society under capital.
>>
>>Exploring the relevance of each concept to understanding the media, Wayne
>>explains why Marxism is an important critical methodology for the media
>>student to engage with. He foregrounds the theoretical and political shifts
>>that have led to its marginalisation in recent years, and highlights how and
>>why these trends are changing as once more, people return to Marx and
>>Marxism to understand the world around them.
>>
>>Mike Wayne lectures in film and television studies at Brunel University
>>and is the editor
>>of Dissident Voices and the author of Political Film: The Dialectics of
>>Third Cinema, both available from Pluto Press. Along with Esther Leslie, Mike
>>Wayne is the Co-Editor of the Marxism and Culture series.
>

>   New Series: Marxism and Culture
>   General Editors: Mike Wayne and Esther Leslie
>

>>This new series aims to revive, renew and develop Marxism as an emancipatory
>>tool for analysing media and cultural practices within capitalism and class
>>society. The focus is on both contemporary popular culture and the high and
>>avant garde art of the past, brought into connection with a range of
>>pressing issues, such as globalisation, ecology and nature, science, the
>>family, identity, migration and asylum, war, inequality and oppression.
>>Developments in new technologies, their relation to capital and the
>>contradictory role of the intelligentsia within media and culture
>>institutions represent other significant strands. The interplay of class
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
<http://www.kubrussel.ac.be/>Katholieke Universiteit Brussel - Catholic
University of Brussels
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05