Archive for April 2002

[eccr] Re: University Professors Call for European Boycott of Links withIsrael

Tue Apr 09 01:06:20 GMT 2002

Dear Colleagues,

Yes, I still refer to you as colleagues and hope that we shall remain
so.  I wish, however, to make a few brief comments regarding the letter
that was circulated calling for a moratorium, or boycott, of Israeli
scholars because of the policy of the Israeli government.

1.  It is ironic that this call was circulated on the eve of Holocaust
Memorial Day, although you are probably not aware of this.  I mention
this in the context of the quote from the letter that "Odd though it may
appear, many national European cultural and research institutions ...
regard Israel as a European state for the purpose of awarding grants and
contracts. (No other Middle Eastern state is so regarded).  Let me
remind you of the long history of Jewish cultural and scientific ties
with European countries.  Some of the greatest European scientists,
philosophers, musicians, etc. were Jewish citizens of European
countries.  The fact that certain Europeans didn't want them in their
midst and "boycotted" them in severe ways should not be forgotten.  To
the best of my knowledge, there were few if any such European figures
from middle eastern countries.

2.  The current strong scientific and cultural cooperation between
Europe and Israel is beneficial to both sides.  Europeans surely gain
much by their contacts and joint ventures with Israelis and vice versa.
This is due to the very high standards of Israeli scientists, musicians,
artists, and so forth today.  Just look at what the state of Israel has
accomplished in this regard in just over 50 years.  Show me another
country that has done so much in so short a time.

3.  I have not heard any call for a moratorium or boycott of
Palestinians or the Palestinian Authority -- which also has certain ties
with the European scientific and cultural establishment -- this, despite
the horrific acts of terror that they have been perpetrating against
innocent Israeli and the total lack of desire of their leadership to
stop such actions.

A final thought: I just wonder if these "scholars" who have affixed
their signatures to the call for sanctions against Israel will also
reflect these sentiments when, for example, they serve on editorial
boards of journals reviewing papers submitted by Israeli colleagues?
And will they also stop assigning books and articles to their students
if they happen to be written by Israelis?

This is not the way to go, my friends.  Let us all pressure the Israeli
government, the Palestinian Authority as well as the leading world
governments to help bring a solution to this severe conflict, but
boycotts and moratoriums and not the way to go.

Peace! Shalom! Salaam!

Akiba Cohen
Professor of Communication, Tel Aviv University
currently Visiting Professor, Graduate School of Journalism, Columbia
University