Archive for April 2002

[eccr] ITV bankruptcy creates media policy turmoil

Wed Apr 03 22:15:35 GMT 2002

ITV bankruptcy creates media policy turmoil
ITV Digital, the world's biggest and most expensive digital terrestrial
TV project, was on Wednesday forced into bankruptcy, throwing government
broadcasting policy into turmoil and the future of lower league football
into doubt. Granada and Carlton Communications said they were "throwing
a lifeline" to their loss-making pay-TV platform, by putting the
business in the hands of administrators at Deloitte & Touche. It is
hoped that ITV Digital can be rescued as a slimmed-down company to
continue to compete with Rupert Murdoch's British Sky Broadcasting in
the pay-TV market.

Administrators will run the business as a going concern and Carlton and
Granada have committed funding during a process that is expected to last
weeks. If the administrators cannot renegotiate much cheaper content
deals - the biggest of which is with the Football League - ITV Digital
will be closed. Ministers admit privately it will make it difficult to
achieve the government's target of starting to switch off the analogue