Archive for publications, November 2022

[Commlist] New Book: Researching Creativity in Media Industries

Thu Nov 03 18:17:58 GMT 2022

*New Book: /Researching Creativity in Media Industries/
*

*Author: Mads Møller T. Andersen, University of Copenhagen
*

In this book, Mads Møller T. Andersen examines the methodological challenges that arise when studying creativity and creative processes in media industries, arguing that the field of media studies still has much to learn about how these industries facilitate their own creative processes. Andersen introduces and utilizes a theoretical framework of five traditions in creativity to guide readers through five different methods of approaching and understanding the concept of creativity, exploring whether media scholars should abandon current, romantic understandings of creativity in favor of more progressive and nuanced definitions. Ultimately, Andersen considers and offers examples of how, as a discipline, we can design studies of creative processes that also address what we still don’t know about creativity in these contexts. Scholars interested in media studies, cultural studies, and research methods will find this book particularly useful.*
*

*
*

Full details can be found here: https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781666901696/Researching-Creativity-in-Media-Industries <https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781666901696/Researching-Creativity-in-Media-Industries>

Reviews:

“Media is everywhere, just like creativity, and we would do well to understand what makes the two so pervasive in our lives and, most of all, what makes them inseparable. Andersen’s exciting new book offers readers both the conceptual and methodological tools needed to discover, study, and reflect on creativity in media industries. An indispensable resource for media and creativity researchers and for anyone with a keen interest in social science and the big questions of today.“
— Vlad Glaveanu, Dublin City University

“This book takes creativity seriously. It is a welcome and highly readable addition to the scant work that already connects authoritative, empirically driven and well-reasoned creativity research with media industry studies. It takes a cross disciplinary approach, delivering what is a pragmatic and highly useful appraisal of what is, after all, a central phenomenon in all media production.”
— Phillip McIntyre, The University of Newcastle

Table of contents:__
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Five Traditions in Creativity Research
- Chapter 3: Media Industry Studies and Key Themes
- Chapter 4: Production Studies as a Methodological Approach
- Chapter 5: Challenges When Researching Creativity
- Chapter 6: Research Design Using the Five Traditions
- Chapter 7: Case Example: Where is Creativity in TV Production?
- Chapter 8: Further Studies of Creativity in Media Industries_
_
_
_
About the author:__
__
Mads Møller T. Andersen is an Assistant Professor at University of Copenhagen in Denmark. His publications and research interests focus on the media industries and in particular creativity, streaming services, creative processes, production studies, reality TV and branding.
_
_**
For further inquiries, please contact Mads via email ((mtommerup /at/ hum.ku.dk)) or consult my research profile: https://comm.ku.dk/staff/?pure=en/persons/736775 <https://comm.ku.dk/staff/?pure=en/persons/736775>