Archive for publications, September 2022

[Commlist] NANO: New American Notes Online publishes issue 16 on gender, genre, and popular music

Thu Sep 29 10:01:28 GMT 2022

/NANO: New American Notes Online/ has just announced the publication of special issue 16:

      Special Issue 16: “This Is What Makes Us Girls: Gender, Genre, and
      Popular Music,” is the result of a collaboration between guest
      editors Erin Kappeler (Tulane University) and Ryan Tracy (The
      Graduate Center, CUNY), the article authors, and /NANO/’s editors
(Sean Scanlan, founder and editor, and Lucas Kwong, assistant editor).

      Guest editors Erin Kappeler and Ryan Tracy describe the purpose of
      this special issue:____

We hope that readers will connect to the scholarly discussions about popular music’s theorization of gender and genre–both celebratory and critical–represented in this special issue. “This Is What Makes Us Girls” provides a number of inroads into critically examining popular music’s role in proposing theories about who we are and what we desire, as well as the limits of doing so when mediated by a music industry systemically riven with inequalities of race, gender, and class. Article topics range from popular music’s roots in African American expressive culture, Megan Thee Stallion’s martialing of the neologism “hot girls” toward Black women’s empowerment, the overtones of Christian soteriology in Lady Gaga’s notion of “stupid love,” contestations of friendship between hip-hop artists City Girls and Saucy Santana, Jacques Derrida’s im-possible “solicitation” of deconstruction (and David Bowie), and our own reading of Lana Del Rey’s provocative representations of gender, race, national identity, and sexuality. With Special Issue 16 of NANO, we hope to have gathered fresh ideas about popular music’s ever-expanding genres and genders, taking the pulse of what’s happening today without losing track of the origins of this dizzying discourse.

Table of Contents:*____*

• Editor’s Introduction for NANO Special Issue 16: ”What’s Genre Got to Do (Got to Do) With It?”____

by Erin Kappeler and Ryan Tracy____

https://nanocrit.com/issues/issue16/Editors-Introduction-for-NANO-Special-Issue-16-This-Is-What-Makes-Us-Girls-Gender-Genre-and-Popular-Music <https://nanocrit.com/issues/issue16/Editors-Introduction-for-NANO-Special-Issue-16-This-Is-What-Makes-Us-Girls-Gender-Genre-and-Popular-Music>______

• An Interview with Melissa A. Webber, Curator of the Hogan Archive of New Orleans Music and New Orleans Jazz at Tulane University____

by Erin Kappeler and Ryan Tracy____

https://nanocrit.com/issues/issue16/An-Interview-with-Melissa-A-Weber-Curator-Hogan-Archive-of-Tulane-University <https://nanocrit.com/issues/issue16/An-Interview-with-Melissa-A-Weber-Curator-Hogan-Archive-of-Tulane-University>____

• Thee Megan Movement: Defining and Exploring Hot Girl Rhetoric____

  by Ebony Perro____

https://nanocrit.com/issues/issue16/Thee-Megan-Movement-Defining-and-Exploring-Hot-Girl-Rhetoric <https://nanocrit.com/issues/issue16/Thee-Megan-Movement-Defining-and-Exploring-Hot-Girl-Rhetoric>____

• Stupid Love: Notes on a Lyric by Lady Gaga____

  by Patrick Clement James____

https://nanocrit.com/issues/issue16/Stupid-Love-Notes-on-a-Lyric-by-Lady-Gaga <https://nanocrit.com/issues/issue16/Stupid-Love-Notes-on-a-Lyric-by-Lady-Gaga>____

• “Y’all don’t work jobs. Bitch, y’all is a job”: Deconstructing Friendship and Labor with the City Girls____

by William H. Mosley, III____

https://nanocrit.com/issues/issue16/Y-all-don-t-work-jobs-Bitch-y-all-is-a-job-Deconstructing-Friendship-and-Labor-with-the-City-Girls <https://nanocrit.com/issues/issue16/Y-all-don-t-work-jobs-Bitch-y-all-is-a-job-Deconstructing-Friendship-and-Labor-with-the-City-Girls>____

• The Solicitation of Deconstruction (/If I never see the English…/)//____

  by David Wills____

https://nanocrit.com/issues/issue16/The-Solicitation-of-Deconstruction-If-I-never-see-the-English <https://nanocrit.com/issues/issue16/The-Solicitation-of-Deconstruction-If-I-never-see-the-English>____

/NANO/’s Homepage: https://www.nanocrit.com/ <https://www.nanocrit.com/>____

New Call-for-Papers for issue 17: https://nanocrit.com/Submissions <https://nanocrit.com/Submissions>