Archive for publications, January 2021

[Commlist] Publication – Alphaville 20: Doing Women’s Film & Television History

Wed Jan 27 19:52:45 GMT 2021

It is with a cheer of celebration that we write to announce publication of the new issue of Alphaville. Issue 20 marks, indeed, ten years of the journal.

The scholarship published in this anniversary issue, edited by Sarah Arnold and Anne O’Brien, was due to be presented at the 2020 Doing Women’s Film & Television History conference at Maynooth University, one of the many research events that was cancelled in summer 2020 as a result of the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic. As Martin Paul Eve has recently remarked, commenting on the effects of Covid-19 on publishing in 2020, “[t]he pandemic has shown, more than ever, why we need open access to research”. We at Alphaville are proud of having provided for ten years already a fully open-access research outlet fuelled by the passion and curiosity of its editors, publishing excellent scholarship that remains the property of its authors, and delivering what we hope is a prized service to the community of scholars, critics, professionals, students, and film lovers.

For this achievement, we owe a debt of gratitude to all of our editors and contributors, and to our readers too – Alphaville receives today about 2,500 visitors per month from its global readership. Perhaps more than anything, we look forward to strengthening this set of relationships over the years to come.

Alphaville: Journal of Film and Screen Media – http://www.alphavillejournal.com/index.html <http://www.alphavillejournal.com/index.html>
International, open access, peer reviewed
Published at the Department of Film & Screen Media, University College Cork

Laura Rascaroli, General Editor

________________________________

Table of Contents – Alphaville Issue 20
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20 <https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20>

General Editor’s Note
by Laura Rascaroli
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.00

Editorial

Doing Women’s Film & Television History: Locating Women in Film and Television, Past and Present
by Sarah Arnold and Anne O’Brien
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.01

Articles

Archivally Absent? Female Filmmakers in the IFI Irish Film Archive
by Kasandra O’Connell
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.02

Seeking Traces of Women in Early Irish Filmmaking: The O’Mara Sisters and the Archive
by Veronica Johnson
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.03

Writing the History of Women’s Programming at Telifís Éireann: A Case Study of Home for Tea
by Morgan Wait
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.04

Cinematic Islamic Feminism and the Female War Gaze: Reflections on Waad Al-Kataeb’s For Sama
by Dilyana Mincheva
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.05

Queer Representation in Arab and Middle Eastern Films: A Case Study of Women in Caramel (2007), Circumstance (2011), and In Between (2016)
by Maria Abdel Karim
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.06

Fan-ning the Flame: Representations of Lesbian Romance on Cult Television, from Subtext to Main Text
by Aviva Dove-Viebahn
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.07

The Curse and the Chora: The Double-Bind of the Choraic Conduit in Angel and Penny Dreadful
by Kwasu D. Tembo
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.08

Reflexive Practice, the “Turn to Care” and Accounting for Feeling: The Things We Talk About with Our Friends
by Rowan Aust
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.09

“I Felt More Difficulty Because of My Class Than I Have Because of My Gender”: Intersectional Analysis of Professional Lives of British Women Documentarians
by Ania Ostrowska
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.10

Towards a Latin American Feminist Cinema: The Case of Cine Mujer in Columbia
by Lorena Cervera
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.11

Researching Around Our Subjects: Working Towards a Women’s Labour History of Trace Unions in the British Film and Television Industries
by Frances Galt
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.12

Video Essay

A Film by Cine Mujer: A Video Essay
by Lorena Cervera
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.13

Dossier: Collections and Their Uses

Digital Opportunities for Feminist Film Historiography: insights from the Reframing Vivien Leigh Project
by Lisa Stead
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.14

Researching Janet Dean: Perspectives on Female Collaboration in Television Production
by Christina Lane
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.15

“Researching Starsky and Hutch Is Exquisite Torture”: Female Television Audiences and 1980s Letterzines
by Charlotte Stevens
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.16

The Pamela Davies Collection: Continuity Supervision in British Widescreen and Colour Cinema
by Steven Roberts
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.17

Researching Black Women and Film History
by Agata Frymus
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.18

Book Reviews

Stanley Cavell and Film: Scepticism and Self-Reliance at the Cinema, by Catherine Wheatley
Reviewed by Glen W. Norton
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.19

Film and Domestic Space: Architectures, Representations, Dispositif, edited by Stefano Baschiera and Miriam De Rosa
Reviewed by Lawrence Webb
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.20

Main Street Movies: The History of Local Film in the United States, by Martin L. Johnson
Reviewed by Jack Booth
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.21

Fellini’s Films and Commercials: From Postwar to Postmodern, by Frank Burke
Reviewed by Flavia Brizio-Skov
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.22

Sensuous Cinema: The Body in Contemporary Maghrebi Film, by Kaya Davies Hayon
Reviewed by Sheila Petty
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.23

Positioning Art Cinema: Film and Cultural Value, by Geoff King
Reviewed by Fátima Chinita
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.24

Memory, Place and Autobiography: Experiments in Documentary Filmmaking, by Jill Daniels
Reviewed by Tony Dowmunt
https://doi.org/10.33178/alpha.20.25