Archive for publications, 2019

[Commlist] New book: World War I: Media, Entertainments & Popular Culture

Tue Nov 12 21:49:37 GMT 2019

We would like to bring attention to a publication which we hope will be of interest to researchers and students of media, journalism, film, cartoons, music, childrens literature, radio, ethics, propaganda, newspapers, heroines, espionage, romance, nationalism and pacifism during World War 1.

*World War I: Media, Entertainments & Popular Culture.*

Edited by Chris Hart. (2018). ISBN (pbk) 978-1-905984-21-3

*Contents*

*Introduction***

Christopher Hart

Chapter 1***What Shall We Tell the Children? The Great War, Propaganda, and British Children*

                         Michael Paris

Chapter 2***Remember Scarborough. Re-Active Propaganda as Natural ethics*

                         Christopher Hart

Chapter 3 *Causing Unnecessary Anxiety? British Newspapers and the Battle *

*                        of ****Jutland*

                         Guy Hodgson

Chapter 4 *Listening to ‘Concert of Europe’: Pioneering Radio Amateurs During *

*                        World War I*

                         Maria Rikitianskaia

Chapter 5 *The Role of Political Posters in Montenegro and Serbia during *

*                        World War I*

                         Andrijana Rabrenović

Chapter 6***Basque Writers’ Reportages in * */Eskualduna/**, during World War I *

                         Eneko Bidegain

Chapter 7 *How Local Newspapers Scooped the National Press to Tell the Truth about the First World                         War***

                         John Dilley and David Penman

Chapter 8 *Romance by Other Means: Scottish Popular Newspapers and the First *

*                        World War*

                         David Goldie

Chapter 9***“And Yet They Tell Us Not to Hate the Hun” Atrocity Propaganda, and War Patriotism in                         Winsor McCay’s **/The Sinking of the ‘Lusitania’/*

                         Jesús Jiménez-Varea and Antonio Pineda

Chapter**10***The Murdochs and Gallipoli: Entertainments in Service of Myth*

                         Tom D. C. Roberts

Chapter 11***All Quiet on the Musical Front? German Music Production as a Source *

*                        for a History of Attitudes of the First World War*
**

                         Dietrich Helms

Chapter 12***Englishness and the ‘Other’. Mata Hari and Edith Cavell* *On *

*                        Celluloid*

                         Rosie White

Chapter 13***Defining Musical ‘Germanness’. The Reciprocal Influences of Music *

*                        and National Identity Formation*

                         Lucy Claire Church

**

Chapter 14 *Dichotomies of Representation and Interpretation. A Pacifist’s *

*                        Story*

                         Sonja Andrew

**

The chapters in this volume have their origins in the conference /World War I: The Media, Entertainments & Popular Culture /held at the University of Chester between the 2^nd - 3^rd July 2015. The organisers and chairs of sessions were, including me, Jim Aulich, Manchester School of Art, Craig Horner, Manchester Metropolitan University, Carole O'Reilly, University of Salford, Nick Mansfield, UCLAN, Gaynor Bagnall, University of Salford, and Vera Slavtcheva-Petkova, University of Liverpool.

This conference did not try to trivialise the First World War. Whether it was civilian, serviceman or servicewoman popular mass entertainments had a part to play in their lives. The conference was about the relationship between popular and mass entertainments during the war and the use of the war for mass audience productions.  It aimed to examine the role, form and development of entertainments created during and related to it, post-1918.  The music hall, the singers, performers, the cartoons, romantic novels, and cinema all had a place and role to contemporaries.  By 1915 many of these may have relayed the experience of war, and some provided the means to maintain morale and patriotism.  Not all, however, supported the war.  After one year of the initial war, optimism was confronted with the realisation that this war was different to others -  the number of wounded and killed was shockingly high.  English coastal towns were bombarded by German battleships, while other cities were bombed by German airships.  Given the reality of the war, the kinds of questions discussed include the following.  How did popular entertainments react to the war?  What were the dynamics, politics and reception of different positions?  In what ways did the form of mass entertainments change as the war progressed?  What role did technology have in disseminating entertainments?  How did commercial entertainment enterprises use the war to attract audiences?