Archive for publications, 2019

[Commlist] Fresh off the press: special issue on 'Internet Architecture and Human Rights'

Mon Mar 25 16:38:50 GMT 2019

We are very excited to announce the publication of a Special Issue of the journal Policy & Internet on “Internet Architecture and Human Rights”.

Edited by myself with Monika Zalnieriute (Allens Hub for Technology, UNSW Sydney, Australia), issue 11(1) explores what we call the "human rights gap” whereby "the delegation of human rights enforcement to private actors circumvents both international human rights law, and often domestic laws and constitutions as well. Said human rights gap is the consequence of the "vacuum which occurs when human rights are public […] and the Internet architecture—through which human rights online are largely mediated and governed today—is mainly privately owned or privately operated” (Zalnieriute & Milan, p. 8).

We explore this claim with the help of stellar contributions, as follows:

* Samantha Bradshaw & Laura DeNardis: "Privacy by Infrastructure: The Unresolved Case of the Domain Name System”; * Niels ten Oever: "Productive Contestation, Civil Society, and Global Governance: Human Rights as a Boundary Object in ICANN” * Milton L. Mueller & Farzaneh Badiei: "Requiem for a Dream: On Advancing Human Rights via Internet Architecture” * Nicolas Suzor, Molly Dragiewicz, Bridget Harris, Rosalie Gillett, Jean Burgess & Tess Van Geelen: "Human Rights by Design: The Responsibilities of Social Media Platforms to Address Gender‐Based Violence Online” * Ben Wagner: "Liable, but Not in Control? Ensuring Meaningful Human Agency in Automated Decision‐Making Systems”

To read, follow this link: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/toc/19442866/2019/11/1