Archive for publications, September 2015

[ecrea] Communication +1 new issue: Occult Communications: On Instrumentation, Esotericism, and Epistemology

Thu Sep 17 00:12:42 GMT 2015

communication +1 is pleased to present: Occult Communications: On Instrumentation, Esotericism, and Epistemology

* Guest Edited by Bernard Dionysius Geoghegan *

What can the occult, the obscure, and the incommunicable teach us about the history of communications and culture? Occult Communications: On Instrumentation, Esotericism, and Epistemology (ed. Bernard Dionysius Geoghegan), the newly released issue of Communication+1, examines how spiritualism, esotericism, and occultism have shaped the dominant cultures of reason in European and North American contexts from the seventeenth-century until today. Case studies in media archaeology and historical epistemology on issues such as spirit photography, horror films, exorcisms, stage magic, surrealism, and brains-in-vats examine so-called magical thinking and its operations at the heart of modern scientific and technological reason.

Contributors includes Tessel M. Bauduin, Anthony Enns, Bernard Dionysius Geoghegan, Stephan Gregory, Christian Kassung, Petra Löffler, Margarida Medeiros, Simone Natale, Katherina Rein, Laurence Rickels, Erhard Schüttpelz, Jeffrey Sconce, Florian Sprenger, and Ehler Voss.

To the authors we extend our deep gratitude for their contributions. To the readers we extend our invitation for input and suggestions.

The following pages begin a conversation we hope will continue. And it is to those whom have spoken we shall turn.

For free access to the issue, please visit http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cpo/.

communication +1 is an open access journal supported by University of Massachusetts Amherst Libraries and the Department of Communication

* Editor in Chief: Briankle G. Chang, University of Massachusetts Amherst

* Managing Editor: Zachary J. McDowell, University of Massachusetts Amherst

*Advisory Board*
Kuan-Hsing Chen, National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan
Bernard Geoghegan, Humboldt-Universität, Germany
Lawrence Grossberg, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
David Gunkel, Northern Illinois University
Catherine Malabou, Kingston University, United Kingdom
Jussi Parikka, University of Southampton, United Kingdom
John Durham Peters, University of Iowa
Johnathan Sterne, McGill University
Ted Striphas, Indiana University
Greg Wise, Arizona State University