Archive for publications, July 2014

[ecrea] Hyperlocal news: new open access report

Tue Jul 08 12:51:11 GMT 2014

We have published today our findings from the most comprehensive survey of the UK hyperlocal sector to date, the result of a collaboration between two different AHRC-funded projects: the Media Power and Plurality project, based at Westminster; and the Media, Community and Creative Citizen project, based at Cardiff and Birmingham City.

We have gathered a substantial amount of data on the current practices, funding, staffing and outlooks of those who run hyperlocal sites. Interpretation, analysis and policy implications will be the subject of future academic papers, but in the meantime we have created a dedicated open access site to make the data as usable and accessible as possible: http://hyperlocalsurvey.wordpress.com/

Alternatively, the report (including a two page summary of key findings) can be downloaded here: https://hyperlocalsurvey.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/hyperlocal-community-news-in-the-uk-2014.pdf

Please do pass this on to anyone you think might be interested, we are keen to disseminate the data as widely as possible.

Steve

Prof Steven Barnett

Professor of Communications

Faculty of Media, Art and Design

University of Westminster

Watford Road, Harrow

Middlesex HA1 3TP

Direct Line: +44 (0)20 7911 5981

email: (s.barnett /at/ westminster.ac.uk)

Follow me on Twitter @stevenjbarnett