Archive for publications, 2012

[ecrea] Critical Discourse Studies, 3rd Virtual Special Issue

Wed Jun 27 18:17:22 GMT 2012

Dear all,

Today we 'publish' the third of our Critical Discourse Studies 'Virtual Special Issues'.

'Text/Talk in context: the social science of language in use' collects 8 articles published in CDS over the past 8 years, with 4 of these free to download:

http://bit.ly/cds-virtual-issues

Info on the 'issue':

We maintain that critical discourse studies should involve the analysis of text in context. Indeed, we would go as far as to claim that research which isolates text and talk from their (social, political, cultural, historical, etc.) contexts of use is not worthy of the name ‘critical discourse analysis’. It is, as Wittgenstein put it, tantamount to examining what happens ‘when language goes on holiday’; it can say very little about how language is actually used and still less about the relations between discourse and social identities/relations/systems. Critical discourse studies aim to support conclusions regarding the contingency of social formations and the role of discourse in formulating, sustaining and/or challenging social practices. In addition, the dialectics of discourse are such that text/context are intertwined and interwoven in ‘a chronological and sociocultural anchoring which produces meaning and social effects in ways that cannot be reduced to text-characteri
stics alone’ (Blommaert, 1999: 6).
With this in mind, our third Virtual Special Issue – Text/Talk in context: the social science of language in use – brings together eight articles that all examine the role and significance of social practices on, in, and through discourse. The articles focus on the formulation and function of discourse within social, political, institutional (etc.) contexts – whether this is the racialization of British political discourse analysed in Blackledge’s article, Krzyzanowski’s discourse ethnographic approach to institutional change in the European Union, or the ways Rogers examines the relations between neoliberal educational institutions and the reinforcement of working class and racialized inequalities. These, and the remaining articles in this Virtual Issue, all speak to and demonstrate the fundamentally dialectical relations between context and discourse.

Feel free to circulate far&  wide

John Richardson
Critical Discourse Studies

Media and Cultural Studies