Archive for publications, June 2009

[ecrea] Welcome to Culture Unbound - a New Journal for Current Cultural Research!

Fri Jun 12 09:42:30 GMT 2009

Welcome to Culture Unbound, Volume 1, 2009
http://www.cultureunbound.ep.liu.se/index.html

Culture Unbound: Journal of Current Cultural Research is a new, refereed,
open-access e-journal that seeks to be a forum for contemporary cultural
research from a wide range of disciplinary and interdisciplinary areas.
We celebrate the birth of Culture Unbound with a first thematic section that
focuses on the crucial question "What's the Use of Cultural Research?" Here,
we have brought together a number of prominent authors to develop their
different perspectives on the role and future of cultural research in a time
when the political and academic landscape is shifting rapidly. The articles
touch on some of the central conflicts for cultural research today: To what
extent can cultural research be applied in different political and commercial
contexts? Is the academic autonomy threatened by a growing emphasis on
practical applicability and formal evaluations? What is the role of cultural
research in academia today and in the future? Featured articles are:

Tom O'Dell: What's the Use of Culture?
Billy Ehn & Orvar Lofgren: Ethnography in the Market Place
Yudhishthir Raj Isar: Cultural Policy: Towards a Global Survey
Mikko Lehtonen: Spaces and Places of Cultural Studies
Sharon Rider: The Future of the European University: Liberal Democracy or
Authoritarian Capitalism?

In addition to this we also release a number of new articles on other topics:

Murray Dineen: Schoenberg and the Radical Economies of Harmonielehre
Andreas Gunnarsson: The First Swede in Space: The Making of a Public
Science Hero
Stefania Kalogeraki: The Divergence Hypothesis in Modernization Theory
across Three European Countries: The UK, Sweden and Greece

You can access all articles for free at:
http://www.cultureunbound.ep.liu.se/index.html

We also welcome new article manuscripts in all areas of cultural research, as
well as proposals for future theme sections.