Archive for publications, 2008

[ecrea] The Futures of Digital Media Arts and Culture - Issue 11 of the Fibreculture Journal - online now

Wed Feb 27 07:21:25 GMT 2008

>The Futures of Digital Media Arts and Culture -
>Issue 11 of the Fibreculture Journal
>
>edited by Andrew Hutchison  and Ingrid Richardson
>
><http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue11/index.html>http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue11/index.html
>
>---
>
><http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue11/issue11_bruns.html>The
>Future is User-Led: The Path towards Widespread Produsage - Axel Bruns
>
><http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue11/issue11_bizzocchi.html>The
>Aesthetics of the Ambient Video Experience - Jim Bizzocchi
>
><http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue11/issue11_degger.html>Technology
>transfer present and futures in the electronic arts - Brian Degger
>
><http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue11/issue11_harrell.html>Cultural
>Roots for Computing: The Case of African
>Diasporic Orature and Computational Narrative in
>the GRIOT System - D. Fox Harrell
>
><http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue11/issue11_fullerton_morie_pearce.html>A
>Game of One's Own: Towards a New Gendered
>Poetics of Digital Space - Tracy Fullerton, Jacquelyn Ford Morie, Celia Pearce
><http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue11/issue11_knoespel_zhu.html>
>Continuous Materiality Through a Hierarchy of
>Computational Codes - Kenneth J. Knoespel and Jichen Zhu
>
><http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue11/issue11_mccaw.html>Art
>and (Second) Life: Over the hills and far away? - Caroline McCaw
>
><http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue11/issue11_penny.html>Experience
>and abstraction: the arts and the logic of machines - Simon Penny
>
><http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue11/issue11_rettberg.html>Dada
>Redux: Elements of Dadaist Practice in
>Contemporary Electronic Literature - Scott Rettberg
>
><http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue11/issue11_suominen.html>The
>Past as the Future? Nostalgia and Retrogaming in
>Digital Culture  - Jaakko Suominen
>
><http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue11/issue11_whitelaw.html>Art
>against Information: Case Studies in Data Practice - Mitchell Whitelaw
>
>---
>
>In the early 1990s, the very term 'digital' was
>new and novel. Yet over the past several decades
>it is apparent that applications and innovations
>in e-mail, the Internet, mobile media, complex
>data systems and computational practice, video
>games and networking software have become an
>essential and dynamic part of contemporary art
>and culture. Increasingly, research in new media
>(and 'newer' new media) interprets the arrival
>of these emergent forms, addressing the
>sometimes unexpected social, cultural and
>aesthetic uses and implications of developing
>digital technologies and interfaces.
>
>The eleven papers presented here from the
>perthDAC (Digital Arts and Culture) 2007
>conference offer a broad spectrum of
>perspectives on the future of digital media art
>and culture, speculating on recent trends and
>developments, presenting research outcomes,
>describing works in progress, or documenting
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/