Archive for calls, November 2023

[Commlist] Situating Data Practices Beyond DataUniversalism / 5th international Data Power conference

Fri Nov 03 13:10:28 GMT 2023

    We are pleased to announce Situating Data Practices Beyond Data
    Universalism, the 5th International Data Power Conference, which
    will take place 4th – 6th September 2024, online and in person in
    two locations: International Institute of Information Technology
    Bangalore (IIIT-B), India and the University of Graz, Austria.

      * Abstract deadline: 19th January 2024
      * Communication of acceptance: 15th March 2024
      * More informationis available on the Data Power website
        <http://datapowerconference.org/data-power-2024/about-2024/>.

    *Call for abstracts*

    The Data Power Conference hosts critical reflections on data’s power
    and the social, political, economic and cultural consequences of
    data’s increasing presence in our lives, workplaces, and societies.
    The 5th International Data Power focuses on situating data practices
    and looking beyond data universalism. It aims to:

      * Situate data practices in the power relations that shape their
        creation and use in the world
      * Explore the importance of place, space, time and context in the
        making of data and the effects of data power
      * Examine the centres of data power and their infrastructures

    In addition, the conference asks:

      * What constitutes rigorous methods when it comes to researching
        data power locally and globally?
      * To what extent does critical data power research need to focus
        on specific instances of data power in action?
      * What generalised critiques can be made from our field?

    To facilitate dialogues across disciplines and with stakeholders, we
    welcome papers from interdisciplinary teams including disciplines
    incorporating aspects of data science, and papers which incorporate
    non-academic collaborators from a range of sectors.

    As always, the Data Power Conference remains concerned with
    in/equalities, discrimination, questions of justice, rights and
    freedoms, and agency and resistance. We welcome papers that engage
    with these matters.

    There will be a keynote speaker in each of the in-person locations,
    details to be confirmed.

    *
    *

    *Information on paper* *abstracts and proposals for making & doing
    sessions*

      * Whilst we welcome papers and session proposals of all kinds,
        please note that this conference focuses on critical questions
        about data’s power and also papers that are critical and/or
        reflective with regards to the social and cultural consequences
        of the rise of data’s power.
      * We also welcome proposals for making & doing sessions. These
        should aim to share practical interventions, practices of doing
        data studies research and other types of engaged or
        participatory research or hands-on workshops (e.g. data walks,
        data sprints, counter mapping). These sessions will take place
        in-person only. Remote participation in them will not be
        possible. (See the 4S website
        <https://www.4sonline.org/making_and_doing.php> for great advice
        on how to craft such sessions,).
      * Please submit a 250-300 word abstract for individual papers or
        making & doing sessions. Panel proposals should include a
        250-300 word panel description + a 250-300 word abstract for
        each paper.
      * The deadline is 19th January 2024.
      * If you want to discuss special formats for paper sessions or
        making & doing sessions, please contact the organisers.

    *Information on conference attendance*

      * It will be possible to participate EITHER remotely OR in-person
        in one of the two locations in which the conference will take
        place – Centre for Information Technology and Public Policy
        (CITAPP) at IIIT-Bangalore (India) and BANDAS Center &
        Department of Sociology at University of Graz  (Austria).
      * Building on our experience in collectively organising hybrid
        conferences, the conference will seek to be accessible across
        time zones.
      * Conference fee: A modest fee for conference participation will
        be charged. Further details will be available once registration
        opens. Researchers without institutional support may apply for a
        waiver

    *Abstract submission*

    You can submit your abstract via our abstract submission system
<https://ojs.library.carleton.ca/index.php/datapower> from 1st November.

      Organizing Committee

      * Janaki Srinivasan
        <https://www.iiitb.ac.in/faculty/janaki-srinivasan>,