[Commlist] CFP, 2023 ICA postconference - Beyond Nudging, Towards Diversity: Understanding transparent algorithmic recommendation practices for media and communications

Wed Nov 02 11:57:59 GMT 2022

Please find below the call for papers for our 2023 ICA Postconference. More details available here (registrations open soon):

https://www.icahdq.org/mpage/ICA23-prepostconferences <https://www.icahdq.org/mpage/ICA23-prepostconferences>

**

*Beyond Nudging, Towards Diversity: Understanding transparent algorithmic recommendation practices for media and communications*

Endorsed by the following ICA Divisions: Human Machine Communication Interest Group

Deadline for abstracts: Friday, 2 December 2022

*Theme*

Digital platforms and personalisation play an increasingly important role for how we engage with public issues online. Whether we scroll through social media, visit a streaming platform, or use a news aggregator, the content we see is at least partly determined by algorithmic curation. So far, curation algorithms are often metrics and engagement driven, thereby contributing to digital dilemmas such as click- or ragebaiting or the spread of disinformation. Moreover, the inner workings of curation algorithms and their underlying objectives  often remain opaque. Building on the knowledge we have about how platform affordances shape public discourse and democratic decision making, this post conference aims at exploring future opportunities for responsible, value-sensitive platform design.

As such, the goal of this post conference is twofold: First, it aims to bring together work that critically engages with the design and effects of digital platforms - particularly in relation to notions of media diversity and transparency. Second, and building on the former, it hopes to generate new ideas and approaches for researching and implementing value-sensitive platform design that facilitates social cohesion. Key aspects that we hope bring together are the promises and pitfalls of digital nudging, the need for transparency and diversity/serendipity, as well as individual-level and societal effects of diversity-aware platform design in both the short and the long term.

This one-day post conference invites papers focusing on but not limited to the following topics. Given the nature of the topic, interdisciplinary work is especially encouraged, including natural language processing and computer science, as is the submission of work in progress that address:

  * Transparency
  * Digital nudging - design, effects and questions relating to
    paternalism and user autonomy
  * Value-sensitive platform design
  * Platform choice architecture
  * Recommender systems
  * Affordances of digital platforms
  * Digital intermediation practices
  * Content creation practices for recommender systems
  * Authentic nudging - engaging (reclaiming?) authenticity through
    automation
  * Nudging for media diversity and plurality
  * Computational implementation and analysis of algorithmic
    recommendation practices
A selection of papers will appear in a special issue within a leading Q1 international journal - details still to be confirmed.

Invited participants include:

Shaina Raza (PhD Student, CS, Ryerson University in Toronto): /Accuracy meets Diversity in a News Recommender System/

Donghee Shin (Prof, Zyaed University, Comm & Media, UAE): /Nudging Users toward News Diversity in News Recommender Systems/

Zhixin Giselle Pu (PhD Student, Penn State, Comm) & Michael Beam (Prof, Kent State, Emerging Media & Technology): /Personalized Serendipity/

Sanne Vrijenhoek (PhD student, UvA, Law & Information)

Nicolas Mattis (PhD student, VU, Comm) & Wouter van Atteveldt (Prof, VU, Comm)

Lien Michiels (PhD student, CS, U of Antwerp)

Michael Ekstrand (Prof, CS, Boise State)

*Submission and Selection Process*

Authors should submit an extended abstract of 300-500 words, outlining which theme they are interested in addressing, to Nicolas Mattis: (n.m.mattis /at/ vu.nl)

Abstracts would be submitted by 2 December.

Authors will be notified of acceptance by 16 December.

The abstract should contain a main idea or argument, a research question, a short literature review and some empirical evidence (if relevant). We welcome a variety of disciplinary perspectives, including historical, computational, regional and scholarly approaches.

The abstract should be anonymised with no details of the author(s) made obvious.

The conference will be held off site from the official conference location: