[Commlist] CFP Deadline Extended: Mapping the Impossible Special Issue 'Fantasy Across Media'

Thu Oct 06 20:46:00 GMT 2022

*Call for Papers: /Mapping the Impossible/,//Special Issue ‘Fantasy Across Media’*

Extended submission deadline: 13 November 2022

/Mapping the Impossible /is an open-access student journal publishing peer-reviewed early-career research into fantasy and the fantastic.

For more information about the journal and submissions click here>>

https://fantasy-research.gla.ac.uk/index.php/submissions/ <https://fantasy-research.gla.ac.uk/index.php/submissions/>

*Aims and Scope*

We welcome submissions from undergraduate and postgraduate students (and from those who have graduated within the last year) from any higher education institution. We publish articles on any aspect of fantasy and the fantastic and any work within this transmedial genre. Increasingly, students from more established disciplines (including, but not limited to, Literature Studies, Game Studies, Film and Television Studies, Media Studies, Philosophy and Theology) elect to write essays on a fantasy related topic that intersects with their primary discipline.

*‘Fantasy Across Media’ CFP*

Our second Special Issue takes as its theme ‘Fantasy Across Media’, inspired by the works produced during this year’s GIFCon. Submissions are encouraged from those who presented during the conference, but also from fantasts far and wide who would like to share their perspectives on the Fantastic beyond the realms of literature.

To quote the GIFCon call for papers:

‘Fantasy and the fantastic have had long, rich histories outside of literature, playing a central role in the development of theatre, film, and comic books, and celebrating a more recent boom on the small screen. Furthermore, from the innumerable reimaginings of the Arthurian tradition, to The Wizard of Oz, to manga and anime, to contemporary multimedia franchises and cinematic universes, fantasy texts have been integral to the history of transmedia storytelling, allowing their rich storyworlds to expand across multiple media. By examining fantasy with a focus on media, we find a genre shaped in distinct ways by the many different media and creative industries that produce it, with specific creative processes and varying cultural media traditions opening onto distinct forms of fantasy that may not be properly accounted for in fantasy studies’ traditional focus on Anglophone literature.’

/Mapping the Impossible/exclusively accepts academic papers between 3000 and 5000 words in length, including references but excluding bibliographies. Along with your paper, we ask you to submit a 300-500 word long abstract, and a 100 word long biography. Please attach these to an email as separate Word documents, each clearly labelled with your name. For instance: TerryPratchettSubmission.docx, TerryPratchettAbstract.docx, TerryPratchettBiography.docx

Please note that we ask for your paper to conform to the /Mapping the Impossible/ *Style Guide* <https://fantasy-research.gla.ac.uk/index.php/style-guide/>when you submit it. Your paper should also be anonymised as far as possible when you submit it (except for the file name!), as per our double blind review policy.

When you’re ready to submit, send your email to (journal.for.fantasy /at/ gmail.com) with the subject line “Submission – [your name][date of submission]”. You will receive a confirmation email within seven days, to say that we have received your submission.

The board meets at least once a month to discuss submissions, and you should expect to hear back from us within five weeks.

Please email (journal.for.fantasy /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(journal.for.fantasy /at/ gmail.com)>for any queries regarding the call.