[Commlist] ECREA Affect, Emotion & Media TWG Virtual Workshop

Tue Aug 30 11:58:27 GMT 2022

We are happy to announce our first free one-day virtual workshop in advance of the ECC conference in Aarhus – with a great roundtable and innovative format – titled:

*“What signifies affect and emotion in media and communication studies?”*

*When: 13 October 2022, 10:00 – 16:00*

*Where: Online (on the interactive platform Wonder.me)*

*Deadline for registration: 13 September 2022*

*Free registration here: *https://form.jotform.com/221721674897366 <https://ecrea.eu/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=ayteYDaxA71SXHv4Sci2cj4CbzL9txacaiY29kkETwyCEHxsYC8mCPCxh7cG5peC9JOU%2f4eKMrsKrPd5pHzfpEuI44rfkmJEl09IE408rzA%3d>

*The Virtual Workshop*

This one-day virtual workshop of the *Temporary Working Group /Affect, Emotion & Media/* explores the current state and future paths of affect and emotion research in media and communication studies. Affect and emotion are structuring mediated public discourse, become mobilizing factors in social movements, characterize media coverage of many contemporary issues, resonate in media policies, and shape the experiences of media reception. Affect and emotion also help us to connect to others, express ourselves, feel entertained and engaged, and holistically experience the human condition, which can additionally manifest in depression, anxiety, or xenophobia. We want to explore this vast variety by discussing how we, as media and communication researchers, approach affect and emotion conceptually, methodologically, and ethically in our work.

*The Format*

The workshop begins with a *roundtable discussion* among *Karin Wahl-Jorgensen* (Cardiff University, UK), *Anne Bartsch* (Leipzig University, Germany), *Ana Jorge* (Lusófona University Lisbon, Portugal), and *Tom Divon* (The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel). These four scholars of affect and emotion research in media and communication studies drawn from their expertise in journalism studies, media psychology, children and media, digital culture, and more. Together, they will discuss our core question: What signifies affect and emotion in media and communication studies? At the end of the round table, we will have time for participants to join the discussion.

In the afternoon, all participants are invited to continue the *discussion in focused groups* organized around themes, which will be built on your input in the registration form. The workshop ends with a summary of the insights gained in the workshop discussions and an open exchange around future plans for the newly-founded TWG Affect, Emotion & Media.

The virtual format is particularly aiming for a more* interactive mode* on the platform *Wonder.me* instead of doing another Zoom presentation marathon. With this, we hope to offer an alternative virtual exchange instead of adding to the Zoom-fatigue.

We are looking forward to your registration until 13 September and to meeting you in October! Please register now with the link above and we will be in contact with further information.

*The Program***

*10:00-12:00 Roundtable discussion* (Chair: Manuel Menke)
“What signifies affect and emotion in media and communication studies?

*Karin Wahl-Jorgensen* (Cardiff University, UK)
*Anne Bartsch* (Leipzig University, Germany)
*Ana Jorge* (Lusófona University Lisbon, Portugal)
*Tom Divon* (The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel)

/12:00-12.45 Lunch break/

*12.45-14.30 Workshop discussions *(Chair: Karina Horsti)

/14.30-14.45 Coffee break/

*14.45- 16.00 Summary workshop discussions & future of the TWG *(Chair: Débora Medeiros)

*16:00 Goodbye*

**

*The Roundtable Discussants*

*Karin Wahl-Jorgensen* is a Professor at Cardiff University and is currently serving as University Dean of Research Environment and Culture. As a researcher, she focused on the relationship between citizenship, media and emotion - and how it is affected by rapid technological change and innovation. As Director of Researcher for the Centre for Community Journalism, she has recently carried out extensive research on the experiences of community journalists, including in the coronavirus pandemic. In addition, she is working on research projects on right-wing populist media and misinformation.

*Anne Bartsch* is Professor of Empirical Communication and Media Research at the University of Leipzig. Her research focuses on media uses and effects and on empirical research methods. She received her PhD from the LMU Halle in 2004 with a dissertation on emotional communication, and her habilitation in 2011 with a dissertation on media entertainment. Her current research deals with the appeal of moving and thought-provoking media experiences, and with the effects of such experiences on political interest and prosocial outcomes.

*Ana Jorge*, PhD, is Senior Researcher at CICANT, and Associate Professor of Media and Communications at Lusófona University. Ana researches children, youth and media, audiences, celebrity culture, and digital culture. Her scholarship appears in journals such as Social Media + Society, Journal of Children and Media, and Information, Communication & Society; she has co-edited Digital Parenting (Nordicom, 2018) and Reckoning with Social Media (Rowman & Littlefield, 2021).

*Tom Divon* is a PhD student at the Department of Communication at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Israel. Divon’s research focuses on socio-political youth cultures on social media and their affective potential for education and activism. Currently, Divon examines TikTok cultures in three key areas: Holocaust commemoration, hate speech, and memetic participation in nationalism-driven conflicts. He has published a book chapter exploring the #JewishTikTok community's affective fight against antisemitism and has a forthcoming paper about Palestinian “Playful Activism” on TikTok.