[Commlist] 2023 International Symposium on Autoethnography and Narrative

Tue Aug 02 12:15:38 GMT 2022

The deadline for submissions and award nominations for the 2023 International Symposium on Autoethnography and Narrative (online, January 2-5, 2023) has been extended to AUGUST 15, 2022. For more information, visit www.iaani.org

+++

Given the continued prevalence of Covid-19, travel restrictions, rising international conflict, and the uncertain financial constraints faced by many scholars and organizations, the 2023 ISAN will continue as a fully online event. The symposium will occur via Zoom on January 2-5, 2023. Eastern Standard Time (EST) will be used for all symposium activities. CLICK HERE
https://iaani.org/2023isan/
for more information about submitting to the 2023 ISAN. The deadline to submit a proposal has been extended to AUGUST 15, 2022.

We are also accepting nominations for the following annual awards:
• Outstanding Book Chapter and/or Journal Article
• Early Career Award
• Arthur Bochner and Carolyn Ellis Resonance Award
CLICK HERE https://iaani.org/awards/
for more information about these awards. The deadline to submit for these awards has been extended to AUGUST 15, 2022.

Additional updates regarding the 2023 symposium:

• Registration: We made a slight adjustment to registration fees. For the 2023 symposium, general registration will be $50 (USD) and $35 (USD) for graduate students, part time faculty, independent scholars, and anyone experiencing financial hardship. Unlike last year’s fee structure ($25 for the symposium + $25 for workshops), this year’s fee structure will be all-inclusive; all registrants will have access to all facets of the symposium (e.g., workshops).

• Submissions: Even though the symposium is online, there are still restrictions on time and (Zoom) space. Based on the feedback from the 2022 symposium, there is also a desire to schedule fewer participants per session and/or allocate more time for each session. As such, for the 2023 ISAN, we are limiting participants to ONE submission (includes co-authored submissions). Our hope is to have no more than two sessions per time slot and no more than four panelists per session.

• 2022 ISAN Proceedings: The editors are nearly finished with the proceedings from the 2022 symposium. The proceedings should be finalized by August 10, 2022. We will post the 2022 ISAN Proceedings on the 2022 ISAN page.

• In-person gathering: In addition to the online symposium, several of us are trying to envision an in-person gathering. The details are still uncertain. Our primary hotel, The Dolphin Beach Resort, is not accepting groups through mid-2023. We received a proposal from another venue, but it was very expensive. Hotels typically require an organization to commit to a minimum number of rooms (25+) AND a minimum number of food/drink purchases ($3000+) to use event space at no (or a reduced) cost. For an in-person gathering to happen, it must be financially viable for the organization. We encourage everyone to plan for an online-only symposium. If an in-person gathering happens, it will occur at a different time and date from the online symposium.

• IAANI Business Meeting: We held the annual IAANI business meeting on February 28, 2022. We discussed several of these changes at the meeting. A recording of the meeting is posted below.

Contact
Tony (Adams), (tony.e.adams /at/ gmail.com)