[Commlist] cfp: Gender in Media and Communications in the digital age: Post-pandemic trajectories in education, research and advocacy

Wed Jul 06 14:01:37 GMT 2022

*Call for Papers*  - Gender in Media and Communications in the digital age: Post-pandemic trajectories in education, research and advocacy @ Complutense University of Madrid in person and online: Wednesday 28 and Thursday 29 September 2022

*Background*

How far have we come in fostering gender-aware education in our academic contexts? How relevant is communication research in supporting education to address the challenges of gender equality across societies? What directions, and methods, should critical analysis take to expose and address old and new forms of resistance to gender equality and gender mainstreaming? How have these forms of resistance been reshaped in the pandemic context and how are they currently operating across sectors, within and beyond academia? In the post-Covid-19 context, what pedagogical models and online methods can we use in our educational work and in conducting research on gender and media, so as to make knowledges even more open and shared? How can our education and research activities intersect (inform and respond to) ongoing efforts to foster a New Gender Deal for Media and Digital? In our institutions, we’ve experienced the many issues of ‘care’ that emerged from the experience – care for students, for colleagues, for networks, for ourselves - also highlighting how gendered relations played out on the new teaching and learning environment, affecting women and men differently.

These are some of the questions that this IAMCR event will explore over two days. The event is jointly organised by the IAMCR Gender and Communication Section, the IAMCR Task Force for GAMAG, and the UNESCO UniTWIN on Gender Media and ICT, <http://www.unitwin.net/who-we-are/> in collaboration with the AGEMI <https://www.agemi-eu.org/> project <https://www.agemi-eu.org/>. The event reflects the shared concerns and willingness to collaborate amongst different realities and networks, within and outside academia, in making feminist pedagogies, methodologies and educational practices a strategic pillar in the implementation of a ‘New Gender Deal’ in the field of media and communication. In summary, this event aims to encourage the exchange of recent experiences and practices and the dissemination of innovative pedagogical models and online teaching methods that use gender as a primary thematic in work around media, journalism and communication. With a specific focus on epistemologies and on (caring) methodologies that make use of online platforms and digital media, we welcome papers that offer pedagogical approaches to the study of gender, sexualities and intersectional forms of oppression in and through media production and consumption - including print and electronic media, film and television, advertising, and social media – within and beyond the pandemic context.

The event (conducted in hybrid form: in person and online) will comprise a first day of keynote speakers, panels, and roundtables. The second day will be dedicated to networking and discussing future collaborations amongst relevant networks in a more informal setting, so as to bridge academia and advocacy. A full description of the event and proposed schedule for both days can be found here. <https://drive.google.com/file/d/177XrQ3NaXKBfjf3yeAxpflFSA5a2A3b2/view?usp=sharing>

To contribute to the scholarly exchange and present your research/reflection, please send abstracts of 200 to 300 words, 5-8 keywords and a short bio by August 15, 2022 to Lucia Vazquez Rodriguez ((luciaglv /at/ ucm.es) <mailto:(luciaglv /at/ ucm.es)>) and cc Carolina Matos ((Carolina.Matos.1 /at/ city.ac.uk) <mailto:(Carolina.Matos.1 /at/ city.ac.uk)>) and Patricia Nunez Gomez ((pnunezgo /at/ ccinf.ucm.es) <mailto:(pnunezgo /at/ ccinf.ucm.es)>) with the subject ‘IAMCR GEN COM Post-Conference’ followed by your last name. Accepted papers will be announced by 31 August.

You are also welcome to register to attend the event (without presenting) here <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScvXghAS-MvL5d2gHm_l1APGFT9VSR6m3qAyq64KNtq2wvCtA/viewform?usp=sf_link>.